• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram !/48 F-101 RESTART after years on the dus

dollar19

Just a bit of an up date on the Voodoo. I'm in no hurry to get this one done, I've been tinkering with it for 5 years or so. I promised this build to MOON PUPPY along time ago, he finished I gave up. But now it's back on the bench.

I hate the open speed brakes on the ground so I just glued the panels over the wells and that was that.

I also spent some time on the landing flaps that Monogram insisted on molding in the down position. That they didn't really allow for a good glueing surface.My fear is I would be constantly fixing a lost flap. That and the nightmare of masking and spraying Insignia Red in there just didn't trip my trigger.
So after a considerable amount of hacking and gouging filing and sanding i got them into the full up position. Believe me the molded in detail is beautiful, but away it went.

That's where she stands today, there will be more as I get bench time.

Thanks for looking

Looks like you sealed up the rotary launcher also. I remember well, still have mine sitting on the shelf, it's fared well over the years, only lost one of the avionics bay door.

Now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS_Shu8y0sI

:rotf

LMAO! :laugh:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the rotary launcher. I tried 7 ways from Sunday to get it to fit and rotate! No joy on that. So finally just said ...... well you know what I said. And just gave up on it and sealed it in place. Nice idea for its time but the technology Monogram had in the 80s really wasn't up to the task. Can you imagine what Eduard or Trumpeter or Tamiya could do now with slide molding and and true bearing surfaces?

Back