• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Modelling with young family

Hey peeps,

Most of you probably know I have a young daughter, which adds a new dynamic to life (to say the least) :D I guess the purpose of this post is I'm looking for some advice, a friendly word, "war stories" from veteran parents/modellers or even just folks that have been through a similar period of increased demand on time and reduced supply of model time (that mythical "work-life balance").

How did you folks manage to keep the "modelling faith" while still ensuring that family came first? Did you pack it all in for a few years? Did you have a dedicated period of time a night or week for "me time"? What worked or didn't work for you?

Grab a bevvie from the eskie and share your words of wisdom (or in-wisdom :huh: ) with a bro...

Thanks in advance

Rudi

I modeled when there was a free minute to do so. Usually I had the kids while my wife had a bit of me time for 15 or 20 minutes, then switch. When the kids where really young there was less time. As they got older there was more and I tried introducing them to the hobby. About the worst thing that ever happened to me was while I was on temporary duty the 2 boys got into my room and tried to play fort in a large moving box. It only had about 20 models still in boxes, but they managed to compress them to take up what 5 models would. When I got back and the wife showed me I think I turned around and went for a beer. We had a discussion about property and feelings etc next day and they where pretty good after that.
Kids can be more fun than models anyways and models will be around for ever. The kids usually leave in 20 or so years which while feeling like an eternity when they are home feels like a heartbeat when they leave.

Enjoy

James

well, the child does need to go to sleep. My tactic was to attack the wife with carnal desires and let her refute me, whereby I go to the workshop with a grin in my face and a hidden snicker. :evil: The problem were those days she did not push me away.
:woohoo:

Seriously, agree with the wife by giving her a break and she does the same. A one hour at a minimum. It does get better!

Regards,

Hi Rudi feelin for ya here mate my daughter who is now 6 and getting to be quite an authority on British armour stoped my modlin in its tracks for about 6 months, but once she was sleeping through and my partner was always in bed early because she was tired my modlin took of again with a renewed vigour and i got loads done :mpup aaaahhhhhh those quiet nights sitting on my own working away now gone (well getting rarer)but the bright side is i now sit with my daughter and we work together well i work and she asks serious searching questions like "why are tanks green?"and noticing those little mistakes (and running to mum to tell on me when i get paint on the table:idonno )so stick with it mate it gets better and there is nothing finer than a daddy/daughter build (y)

Sorry, no advice, I got Dogs. You can leave them in the back yard with a bucket of food and water over the weekend and no one will call the cops on ya. :mpup

This usually works for me , just duct tape em to the wall and put cartoons on .................

NaughtyStepr.jpg

Seriously though , I just make the time , outside of work and family I don't really do much of anything else , ........ so I've got plenty of time , usually at night when everyone else is asleep .

My whole family is cool with my modeling and they all have their in-house hobbies also , ....... so it's all good .

Yup-- I am the same...kids go to bed at 8:00... and the smartest thing I ever did was encourage my wife when she was talking about going back to school. She went overboard though and is taking 17 credit hours...but that leaves my evenings to model pretty much all I want when I am not grading papers...

:hmmm know how you are feeling Rudi. I agree with the lads above.....make the time at night when they go to bed, but a set bed time and a dedicated model space helps this along enormously. It's important to keep getting a little bit of model time for you own sanity / mental health.
Anyway thats what I did (10 years ago now):blink but I went insane anyway because Dragon wouldn't stop releasing great new armor kits!:laugh:

Ian

Back