• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MiniArt Grant Mk.1

Found this IWM photo of a Grant taken in late October '42, just after the start of Second El Alamein. It shows how badly the the depot applied desert paint could be scuffed and sand blasted to reveal the factory OD paint.

m3grant120.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

That opens up a load of possibilities :)

what i mean is i dont have to be very good at painting then :cool:

Flying through this ...lol
give it a propeller on the back and it could be one of those swamp boats you get down in the everglades :)

DSC_3110.JPG
DSC_3111.JPG

A few things to watch out for
Quite a lot of the small pipes and conduits were broken on the sprues between attachment points, It could just be that my model had a rough journey in transit however given there are over 65 sprues maybe it was not wise to put them all interlocked/jumbled in one bag ?

The fit of parts is up with the best, some location tabs are very small and its easy to trim them of as spru attachment points,

Some attachment points to the spru are quite large and its not always obvious where the part starts and the attachment point finishes.
Finally
Simple kits have a main chassis, fuselage or Hull which you attach individual parts too. This kind of kit does not so even the hull is built up from a dozen parts and on to that you build another 3-4 dozen parts. A lot of these become mounting points for yet more structure so......
make 100% sure all parts are fitted properly ,straight, square from the start or the faults will amplify as the build goes on and more parts are added and you will end up with a candidate for a blown up tank diorama :)

None of this is a criticism of the kit which is so far excellent, just a bit of advice which may help your own builds.
Oh and happy new year from this side of the pond :cool:

Added some ammo boxes over the weekend and got the rear panel fitted with the aid of a G-clamp and some tough persuasion :) it really didn't want to fit,

DSC_3112.JPG
DSC_3113.JPG

It occurred to me that i haven't actually got to the stage you would be at starting one of these without the interior kit yet :)

A few things to watch out for
Quite a lot of the small pipes and conduits were broken on the sprues between attachment points, It could just be that my model had a rough journey in transit however given there are over 65 sprues maybe it was not wise to put them all interlocked/jumbled in one bag ?
Happens quite often with this brand. If the pieces are broken but complete, I usually glue them together before removing from the sprue trees. I did mention this to Dmytro (the owner) several years ago but they still pack all the sprue trees in one bag.

MiniArt35095xdetail01.jpg
MiniArt35569c.jpg

Regards,

yup thats what i found Saul. As you say, gluing them while still on the tree does solve the problem but its a shame having had the problem pointed out he doesnt fix it for the sake of a few pennies.

And it occurs to me that when I was attempting the Academy Lee (my Lullu Belle) there was no ammo storage for the 75, there was some for the 37 up in the turret but not the big rack. Not that I remember...Looking good Paddy!

Hey Paddy it looks good thus far from my end. But if your wanting a bit more contrast to the interior apply a dark, nearly black, brown pinwash and that should really pull out all the kool details. Remember that the pinwash is the single most powerful weathering element in out tool Box.

The Grant is coming along nicely Paddy.

Keep them images coming.

There is a lot of work with the interior detail painting and weathering but once its all done it will all pop out with the hatches open and anyone looking at the kit will want to look further inside the vehicle.

The progress images are excellent to promote the interior off.

I better pull my finger out, you are way ahead of me in terms of build schedule on the M3.

Michael :Drinks:

Love what you’re doing on this Paddy. I don’t know squat about the Grant. I did get to crawl thru one at West Point many years ago. It had some shot holes in it, quite a scary thought. A couple of cadets were looking thru it and had some thoughts on tank duty. Not highly motivated to apply for tank duty.

thanks Mike coming from someone on the Masters list that means a lot :cool:
Hopefully with a pin wash or similar i will pull it all together inside, at the moment it looks a bit like lots of pieces with little connection.
All the tanks , which is not many, i have seen inside are very rounded and blunt but this is all sharp edges and bits. that may be because of the small scale where the edges have lost their curves..

I have just realised if you leave the door open on the shell cabinet on the left it blocks the hatch on the side :)

Back