• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mark IV Tadpole.

Tim A.

Searching for something to give me a break from my long term USS Constitution build I picked this up, Takom's Mark IV Tadpole ( It'll be here in about a week). Three things attracted me to it - It's completely different from the the Constitution, It's WWI, and it's an oddball subject. I like the oddballs, even the failures, and the Tadpole was a failure. Designed as an answer
Screenshot_20210705-174718.png
Screenshot_20210705-174755.png
for the problem of how to get these machines across the trenches, it was a "stretched" version of the Mark IV. The Tadpole just didn't perform in testing very well. So, it was - "Ok men, back to using big bundles of wood". The build will probably end up in a diorama.
Looking forward to getting going on it👍 stay tuned.

This is the only one I never got. Kind of regretting that lapse now. Looking forward to the build. Aber makes the mortar and machine guns for this beasty.
James

This is the only one I never got. Kind of regretting that lapse now. Looking forward to the build. Aber makes the mortar and machine guns for this beasty.
James
I saw that Aber mortar👍
I'm getting itchy to get started on it. (It's in the mail)

Really neat. Interesting that the crews of the earliest tanks were basically in the engine compartment with the tank!

Hey James, do you have a link to the mortar and machine guns? Never thought about those, but then the tank is now packed away with floor work.

The kit arrived today, looks nice too. The Aber 4" Mortar is on it's way, along with some resin figures by Tusk, and another company who's name I can't remember right now. Thought they'd work well for the Dio.
I've been reading up, and looking at a lot of photos. One shows the Tadpole in field tests without the sponson crew hatch even on. The six pounders are there, but the Lewis guns aren't. It makes sense that they wouldn't fit the tank out, or leave non essential parts off in the testing. I've also been reading about what color the Tadpoles were painted. The word is a medium brown or grey, inside and out. There's lots of discussion about the paint on these,
IMG_20210712_195954760.jpg
and the MK IV in general. I find that debate really interesting.

Last edited:
Back