• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Making broken bottles for your dioramas

When I made my Marder Diorama , I wanted a little added detail for a corner of my diorama . I wanted the scene to be a slumish area on the outskirts of an African township . I looked around an abandoned block and the abundance of broken glass bottles was apparent. Here is how I made my own .

I looked out for some useful stuff , I needed a bottom for the bottle , sides & the neck , here is what I used
Bottle1.jpg

Right then , the bottom was cut from a piece of clear acetate with a hole punch .

Bottle2.jpg

Now the sides were cut from some round bits from the side of some packing , I cannot remember where I found this but I think it was the inner packing of a DML Action figure , lots of the DML etch comes similarly packed too .

Bottle3.jpg

You need to cut the curved bit out and then cut it into jagged shards .

Bottle4.jpg

The neck of the bottle was easy but IMHO ultra genius on my part :) :) :) :) Stretch some clear sprue until you get a bottle necky looking bit (scientific terminology) ! Now hollow the inside with a small cutter on the motortool , then cut jagged edges & drill the neck out .

Bottle5.jpg

Now glue some jagged shards from the side to the base so it looks very nasty.

Bottle6.jpg

Stick the lot to some Tamiya tape & spray with Tamiya clear green ( note for beer bottles clear brown from clear red mixed with clear green or for spirits , milk bottles just leave clear .

Bottle8.jpg

The big bits are glued into place , the bottle label comes from Plus models calender picture on the same sheet the newspaper comes from , some sand & crud will be added & then the smaller shards .
Bottle9.jpg

Bottle10.jpg

Here it is in the finished scene and adds a little visual interest where before was nothing
Alldone7.jpg
:)

Jenny :kiss:

Back