• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lozenge decals

paddy

Quick question chaps :)
When you apply Lozenge decals from a sheet do you cut to shape first or fit and then trim ?? If so do you trim once dry ? Not done this before :eek:hmy:

Paddy, haven't worked with Lozenge decals but I would apply the sheet slightly oversized, let them dry and then trim the excess. I would not try to cut to fit prior.

I only did lozenge a long time ago, think Almark Decals, and Moon Puppy's approach is what I took. I cut it out oversized, applied, then trimmed. However, it wasn't one of my best models due to dust and bubbles trapped. It is also what has kept me from tackling the Eduard whales I have.

Regards,

Hmmm sounds like a challenge :) I can always fall back on the camouflage in the instructions....
Thanks guys !

I cut roughly to shape then when dry slice it off with a sharp blade 90 degrees to the paper. Did you know Montex has a 4 colour and 5 colour lozenge mask? I'll be getting one of each for my next bird.
James

I bought some WnW decals but they supply in small strips so not long enough to stretch across or wide enough to cover width. why not just supply a sheet ???

_DSC5906.jpg

I get a feeling that the lozenge decals, as sold by Wingnut Wings, represents the rolls of fabric and were meant to be applied chord wise with the edges covered in rib tapes.

Without pulling some books out of my library to verify the orientation of the pattern, I may be wrong but it would explain the strange way of selling the product and still fall within their accuracy commitment.

Regards,

$%^&&W&"(*& !! You are spot on Saul...cord wise it should be.

Best way top strip decals ?? Boiling water ?

_DSC5907.jpg

_DSC5908.jpg

:S

OK i striped them back. I am guessing that they didn't try and match the pattern from section to section applying down the cord ? I mean its not wall paper :)

Paddy as stated you have to cut the decals and apply in strips with rib tape covering the edges.On the decal instructions you should see some tick marks with the approximate widths (if I remember correctly). One thing I found after screwing up was that the edges where not matched by colour. I wasted a lot of decal sheet trying to do that. There are some companies like Pheon who make a fitted sheet. I dont know if Pheon is working or not as I havent seen them in a long tome. I think, but could be wrong, that WNW has some fitted sheets, but not a hundred percent sure. Also their decals dont like setting fluids. I believe a hair dryer works better.Hope thats helps.

Oh and this may be of use
32002%201~32%20LVG%20C.VI%20lozenge%20decal%20hints%20and%20tips.jpg

James

Cheers James. It seems i was a bit hasty as the fabric was applied across the wing, at 45 degrees across the wing, and down the cord as well. there was no set way. I notice in the instructions you posted below its across and down the cord in the elevator and tail plane pictures. When they ran the fabric down the cord it doesn't look like they tried to match the pattern between strips. ?

OK, running these decals down the cord now but the wing rib centres are 41mm and the decal is 40mm wide so the joins don't come where the rib tape will be. I either leave it like that or cut the decals to 3 spars width which means wasting 9mm a strip, i doubt there is enough decals to do that. What a f*$&&(£ stupid way of supplying decals in strips like this when everyone in the world has scissors !!! :angry: :angry:

I'm laughing with you. Did you look at the Montex option?

http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/4-colours-lozenge-mask-5918-p.asp

http://www.a2zeemodels.co.uk/5-colours-lozenge-mask-5917-p.asp

A2Zee is a pretty good company to deal with.
James

OK...pattern runs down the cord now.

_DSC5912.jpg

It took me longer to do this upper half of a wing than to do all four surfaces the other way...Hope someone notices the diferance ......lol :laugh:

eventually i will mist it with a darker colour and flat coat it.

Back