• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Looking for info

jknaus

Administrator
Looking for info on a Wehrmacht unit serving on the Eastern Front that used a J in a circle symbol. I can not find what unit they are. Any help appreciated.
James

Can you post a photo of the vehicle's unit marking? I think it actually is a German I instead of a J but want to ensure I don't pass bad information.

Regards,

If you are talking about a capital "J" inside a black filled circle, then this is to 99% the old way of writing a capital "I" and the "I" then most probably stands for "Instandsetzung" which would mean repair unit, well at least that are the only "J" looking insignia I am aware of regarding German Wehrmacht

one more perhaps, this "J" looking "I" insignia were also worn on shoulders:

156307.jpg

this is a Hauptmann (captain) shoulder plate of "Wehrmacht Instandsetzung"

Thanks Impisi and Saul. Yep its a stylized I from Instandsetzung/Werkstatt. I didnt recognize it as old German. MAybe if it had been as on the shoulder boards. Now my question is, would they have unit markings on the front and rear of the vehicle as per usual. Might just pick a unit and do it. Appreciate the help and any more. From FB I was shown this truck from a werkstatt vehicle of SpzAbt 501 in Tunisia.
maint.jpg

James

With pink piping so a panzer unit? Or were all Instandsetzung piped pink?
James
yes, this is panzer unit. I know 1 other image of a shoulder plate with "I" with black piping, so pioneer - countig 1+1 I 'd say those are not only panzer unit

about your question of unit markings - from what I saw from images I would say there was not a real rule. In example your image: it's showing that "I" on the door, but then that's most probably is it. I have seen images from Studebaker trucks, which had round black plates on the front with a quite light (light grey or white) "I" on it and a black circle painted on the doors with a "I" in it.

don't know whether you know this side: https://www.o5m6.de/wehrmacht/_menu.php?cat=Trucks&navtit=Trucks it has some nice info, but to answer your question I don't have enough information, sorry.

And to answer the question I was about to ask.
How did the Germans have Studebakers?
2,000 K25 delivered to France in 1940 and subsequently absorbed by the Germans

Back