• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Little Farmingdale" ??

ij001

Remember the P-47N I started last month ?? - Well, when I started it, I also dug-out all my 'other' 1:48 Thunderbolts - three Bubbletops and three Razorbacks, (one of these Razorbacks I had started to do as Bill Dunham's "Bonnie", but it wasn't turning-out too well).

Long story short, I stripped-down "Bonnie" and have repainted her in Alclad lacquers, and I've started a second Razorback - that's now sitting in the cabinet wearing a base-coat of Tamiya 'Sky Grey'. So here, in no particular order, is what I plan to do with them:

(Hasegawa) P-47D-15 (Razorback) - Free French AF (GC I/4 'Navarre'). Straight OD over Neutral Grey with yellow theatre bands and a red cowling ring.

(Tamiya) P-47D-11 (Razorback) - Maj. WH Juntilla's'Flying Finn'of the 352FS, 353FG (black/yellow checker cowling and invasion stripes on an OD/Neutral Grey machine - but.... a D-11, you know this is going to faded, patchy and thoroughly filthy !!)

(Tamiya) P-47D-20 (Razorback) - Lt. Col. Gil Wymond's 'Hun Hunter XIV' of the 65FS, 57FG (NMF, red nose, yellow ID bands etc - as featured in the wartime documentary 'Thunderbolt' narrated by James Stewart).

(Hasegawa) P-47D-28 (Bubbletop) - The Turtle #10, flown by Capt. Charles Dooney. 509FS, 405FG. Apparently Capt. Dooney went through two P-47's whilst supporting the 101st Airborne in the Ardennes.(NMF and lots of red trim !!)

(Tamiya) P-47D-27 (Bubbletop) - 'Elsie' flown by Maj. Clay Tice when he was commanding the 507FS of the 404FG in Autumn/Fall 1944. This one is NMF aswell and has invasion stripes under the wings and fuselage.

(Tamiya) Thunderbolt II (P-47D-25) - 79 Sqn RAF, based at Meiktela in Burma close to the end of the war. (SEAC camo and ID stripes).

My thinking is to keep these 'turning-over' in the background whilst I work on whatever else takes my fancy. As this is written, the P-47N is ready for decalling, 'Hun Hunter XIV' needs it's glare panel, and 'Flying Finn' is ready for a (lot of) pre-shading. I'll start separate threads for all of them, highlighting the differences in finishes for each one, bearing-in-mind age of the airframe, where it was being used etc, etc.

If you are going to ask 'why the P-47 ?' or more likely, 'why so many P-47's ??' The answer is as simple as I am.... Alongside the P-40, It's my favourite US aircraft of WWII. I luvvem !!

:pilot

AFN, more soon.

Ian

I don't know of any man that doesn't love Jugs! (Interpret that any way you want)

Regards,

I'm with ya Ian, love a Jug, even pairs of them. Whilst working on the 1:32 Trumpeter Razorback last night I decided that I will do another one and it will be an open panel mess. There's just too much good stuff in there not to show it off.

But I gotta say

:nopics

Whilst working on the 1:32 Trumpeter Razorback last night I decided that I will do another one

Wish I could get my paws on one - Been trying to get a Trumpy Razorback for a month or so, and all the 'usual (on-line) suspects' are out of stock. I'll keep trying tho'

Pics and threads soon - Patience, young Padwan :zen

Ian

wish I could remember where I got mine, I have not had it long...I think...

Spruebros seem to have good stock

https://store.spruebrothers.com/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=7&search=P-47&show=100&page=1&brand=Trumpeter

Back