• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Let it Snow

Von Bulow

Hi All,

I'm seeking advice on Snow, needless to say we dont see much down here in OZ and what we do is mostly manufactured anyway.

What i'm looking for is some advice/guidence on "first" falls at winter,does it dump or start as a fine coating?

Is it likely to settle or run off? If it does settle,where on a roof top does it mainly gather? On a street does the snow
follow the natural run off's of dains etc?

When depicting in a diorama what is the best material to use for fine/course snow, whats the best application, should you
be specific in placemnet or does artistic licence come into effect?

Being the period i'm looking at is around the late November/ early December period, probably what those of you living on
top of the world are seeing at the moment.

Any advice or otherwise would be appreciate, any reference poits for good pitcures would be great.

Thanks,

Adrian

Thats a loaded question. It could start off as a fine powder or you could get a dump of it. It might be warm when it snows 0 to -2 or -3 and then its wet and may not last long. It depends on the win how it comes down and then how it lies. I'll see if I have any good pics that might help. As for making it well the newest method I have heard of was using baby powder. Baking soda has been used and there are a few products available. Vicnik has a product he sells. I'm sure there will be a lot of answers to this question.
James

It gets cold- 25 or so F- and the sky turns a little pink. Something unexplainable happens to the air- you can almost feel it, your body knows its coming. Your cats know it to, if you have some they stack up like a pile of fuzzy books and the dogs DO know it, thier attention to the change is obvious.

No matter how it begins, when the sky lets its moisture go and it rains in the sky you may see it in the air falling as ice but when it all reaches the ground all you can see around is the blowing white, whether big flat flakes or stinging ice pellets you better haul your a$$ to the store because all the bread and milk is going to start running out the door stat! I love the snow, we may get it twice a year here.

I know this is a modeling question, but I'm hoping for some real stuff- it looks like we may have a mild winter here in SC so far.

Howdy Adrian, long time no see. :Hiay

I'm betting James will have some good pictures of snow. I got some pictures of my house during the last snow we had, I'll see if I can dig them up. Can't help regarding what to use.

Here we go, night time shots but this was the early accumulation.

DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

And here's the house I grew up in way back in Dec 1971.
scan0003.jpg

Notice the total lack of insulation in the roof!

photo%20(1).JPG

Early AM, warm temps - just below freezing now, but above freezing as it snowed - 3 to 4 inch accumulation.

HTH

Our ice storm from last january- near 7 inches in downtown Columbia!

Picture_014.jpg

Here is my dog, a snow lover, hating the ice!

Picture_012.jpg

Sorry i don't know model snow either!

Hi Adrian,

There are several products to recreate snow.Like James said, our member Vicnic has a product he sells.
Tamiya has 2 snow products,one for powdersnow and one regular;http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87119snow/index.htm
There are several others who do snow,I think it all depends on what kind of snow you want to do.
The people we call eskimo have several names for several kinds of snow! :woohoo:

Greetings,Ron.

Thanks Guy's, (y)

Blown away by the responses and photos, one stupid question, the steeper the roof incline the less chance snow will settle on it?

Does light snow accumulate in guttering on buildings and streets?

Does yellow snow really taste like lemon cordial? :hmmm :sick:

Thanks again guy's the closest i get to a cold xmas is sitting in front of the A/C drinking brewski's!

Appricate your responses.

Adrian

Thanks Guy's, (y)

Blown away by the responses and photos, one stupid question, the steeper the roof incline the less chance snow will settle on it?

No. Snow will stick to anything if it's cold enough. seen snow build up on the side of a tree, flag poles. Once it starts to melt and refreeze, the more likely it'll come off the roof. Course i've heard of those Yankee folks having to get on the roof and shovel it off mid winter.

Does light snow accumulate in guttering on buildings and streets?

Again, if it's cold enough. the temp of the surface will dictate how quickly it accumulates.

Does yellow snow really taste like lemon cordial? :hmmm :sick:

Can't tell ya, i've only made it, never tried it. :woohoo:

Hi Adrian

I'm planning a snow diorama and as soon as it snows here I'm going to take lots of reference pics, especially of
how ice, snow and mud accumulates in wheel wells of vehicles.

Hudson & Allen make snow products, the trick may be finding them. I was able to buy a bunch of them from CRM Hobbies at the
last show I was at.

http://www.hudsonandallen.com/

http://crmhobbies.com/

Also look at Woodland Scenics, I don't have any, but I hear their snow is decent.

HTH,
Tom

Hi Adrian

I'm planning a snow diorama and as soon as it snows here I'm going to take lots of reference pics, especially of
how ice, snow and mud accumulates in wheel wells of vehicles.

They are called fenderbergs (thank you Rich Hall) :dude

In Iowa, the accumulation of ice and snow that hangs from the wheel wells are called car turds. :D

Yeah Car Turds. brown icicle looking things that hang off mud guards and wheel wells.

Just an FYI I made up a limited number of bottles of acrylic snow powder that is available from Rick Lawler at MIG USA, I think there is a SBS somewhere on the site.

This is the stuff in action:
FrostFinal.jpg

DSC_0397.JPG

DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0413.JPG

DSC_0396.JPG

Back