• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Leopard 2A4 In Progress

DennisMcQ

I am new to the site and I would like to kick it off with one of my current builds. This is the HobbyBoss 1/35 Leopard 2A4. The kit has it's issues but nothing that is not easily corrected. The instructions say that the tracks can be glued with the glue that you use on the rest of the kit. This is 100% correct if you have stapled the tank together.

I only modified a few things. I changed the tie downs in the stowage compartment, they were molded flat and I replaced them with some copper wire. All of the pics I saw had the rear view mirrors folded down. The kit had them up and in the (slightly) wrong place. I modified it with some brass wire drilled a new hole and folded it down.

On to some pics..

Here it is in the nude
Leopard_3851-1.jpg

And a base coat of Tamiya NATO Green

Lighten_3899.jpg

And finally the three tone NATO camo. I brush painted the scheme with Tamiya acrylics. It took about 2 to 3 coats to get it covered and it went very well.
IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4454.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

IMG_4457.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4461.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4465.jpg

The tools are next.

Thanks for looking,

Dennis

I'll quote MP - LOOKS GREAT!

You did a great job with the paint. I could only dream of doing it that well with a brush.

that is too cool! I am thinking of one of these for the NATO build next year - I will follow your very closely!

I'd like to know what you thought of the hobby boss kit in gen.
how was the build for you?
were the instructions ok?
and was everything clear and not a head scratcher?

i like how they do the full line of a subject. to me that shows a form of dedacation to the hobby that has never been seen before by company.

i like how they do the full line of a subject. to me that shows a form of dedacation to the hobby that has never been seen before by company.

I thought that the HobbyBoss kit was good,but it is no Tamiya or Dragon (My only other experiences) by any means. This is what I remember:

When the road wheels sit naturally they don't line up, but they are loose and the track straightens them out or are otherwise not noticeable.

No fit issues on the hull.

The turret has some fit issues at the back. The corners on many parts are very soft, almost rounded and not at the same angle as the part that they fit into.

The flat areas of the turret have sink marks that need to be filled. In fact be wary of any large flat area and check for sink marks.

Some of the locating holes are too large and others have no part to locate and must be filled.

There are some pin marks to be dealt with. The ones deep down in the ice cleats that are impossible to get out cleanly are particularly maddening.

There are little seam lines all over, probably from inserts in the molds for the different versions.

The issues with the rear view mirrors and the tie downs in the stowage compartment that I mentioned earlier.

The tracks are VERY stretchy. I am a little worried about paint sticking to them as the temptation to pull on them to weather around the road wheels is going to be great.

The parts count (that actually makes it onto the kit) is not that high so there is not much chance for the instructions to mess up. I don't remember any issues. No real head scratchers.

That may seem like a lot of bellyaching about this kit, but I really enjoyed building it. I am a better modeler for it. I will definitely do another kit from HobbyBoss.

That was probably more information than you were asking for.

To everyone else thank you for the warm welcome. I think that I will enjoy it here.

The weathering starts today.

Dennis

I thought that the HobbyBoss kit was good,but it is no Tamiya or Dragon (My only other experiences) by any means. This is what I remember:

When the road wheels sit naturally they don't line up, but they are loose and the track straightens them out or are otherwise not noticeable.

The turret has some fit issues at the back. The corners on many parts are very soft, almost rounded and not at the same angle as the part that they fit into.

The flat areas of the turret have sink marks that need to be filled. In fact be wary of any large flat area and check for sink marks.

Some of the locating holes are too large and others have no part to locate and must be filled.

There are some pin marks to be dealt with. The ones deep down in the ice cleats that are impossible to get out cleanly are particularly maddening.

There are little seam lines all over, probably from inserts in the molds for the different versions.

The issues with the rear view mirrors and the tie downs in the stowage compartment that I mentioned earlier.

The tracks are VERY stretchy. I am a little worried about paint sticking to them as the temptation to pull on them to weather around the road wheels is going to be great.

The parts count (that actually makes it onto the kit) is not that high so there is not much chance for the instructions to mess up. I don't remember any issues. No real head scratchers.

That may seem like a lot of bellyaching about this kit, but I really enjoyed building it. I am a better modeler for it. I will definitely do another kit from HobbyBoss.

To everyone else thank you for the warm welcome. I think that I will enjoy it here.

Dennis

Hi there.

Thanks for the overview of the quality of the kit. I'm really looking forward to getting the Hobby Boss Leopard 2A6M Canadian variant when the shop I order from finally gets it back in stock.

Cheers from Peter

Dennis

Hey Dennis, Thanks for the pictures and for pointing out potential faults with this kit. I've got one in the stash and hope to build it as a Spanish version. Do you know if aftermarket tracks are available for Leopards?

Back