• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Learning to use 3D CAD

JSteinman

Master at Arms
I downloaded a 30 day trial of CAD program and decided to give it a whirl. As my first project I decided to design a 1/48th scale wagon wheel. Below is the picture. I am very proud I could do this, but I am certainly open to constructive comments!
WagonWheelLarge.jpg

Oh, I'm not going totally digital, this is to do 3D printing to add more umpf to my stuff!

Here is a glossy render:
WagonWheel.jpg

looks awesome john! the raised inner ring is still missing but your first steps are way better than my poor babysteps with 3dsmax ages ago (short before i gave up playing with cad programs)

Really nice work! I know, this is what I support at real work.

Nice skill to have in your stash. :mpup

JOHN,

Looks Cool ! AutoDesk is th Shizzle !! I'm taking CAD as a Night Course at th Community College !! and have AutoDesk on th home Computer !!

Th Sky's th Limit ! Now, Use your Powers for Good & Design some Panzer Parts !! :evil: :D

Come Back to the Darkside !

ERIK

CAD is a hard thing to pick up and you've decided on a complex project.
Are you going to a 3D printing service like printapart.com. It's a really cool process and worth the money. I've used them for a 24 lb cannon barrel before - cool stuff.

Cool! I use SolidWorks for designing machines all day long so I never think about doing something fun with it. Good work on the wagon wheel, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out.

Yes this is going to be printed, it will be part of a master pattern project for casting.

Here is where the wheel stands now.
WagonWheelSmall10-8-2010.jpg

Ted wrote:
Cool! I use SolidWorks for designing machines all day long so I never think about doing something fun with it. Good work on the wagon wheel, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out.

Yeap, Solidworks is what I support. Word to the wise, never let the license runout, they will rip you a new one! :blink It must be good cause the install sucks and the engineers love it.

Back