• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Latest Acquisitions Revisited!

20220514_103310.jpg
20220514_103331.jpg
20220514_103353.jpg

Henry Turner (Aye Cap'n Turner, Argh!) of the UK designed STL files of 18th century sailing vessels. I bought 2 of my movie model favorites from him on Shapeways. HMS Bounty and HMS Surprise. They are truly stellar! (The Skywave Elco 80-footer is for scale) I also purchased Cap'n Turner's STL file for USS Bonhomme Richard, sails and masts and a little Felucca sailboat for free!
Our Kids in Texas are working on 3D printing these items.

We don't have room for a 3D printer here yet. Since moving Teresa's household belongings to our country home, there is hardly space for another frozen pizza! Oddly enough, there is still room enough for a few more dinky model ships! MUHHU HAHA HAhaha hahaha!
Thanks for looking in!
:oldguy:
:salute:

:capsmiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
kinda shocking seeing the size of the Elco next to those old sailing vessels. PT boat is what, 78' and the Bounty was '90?

Not a model but i thought i would share this.
I needed some 0.5mm drills, essential when detailing.
so i turned to e-bay as you do and within a couple of days these arrived from England but still in their Chinese packaging.

DSC_3801.JPG

OK so just bad luck they got crushed in the post (actually it was poor packaging)

But these are not drills, they are just bits of twist steel cropped off to a length. no chance at all of drilling a hole or even getting a hole centred as there is no cutting edge or point to centre the drill.

WIN_20220516_08_09_31_Pro.jpg

this is why ebay is so often a waste of time and money but what really gets me is ....somewhere in China, a factory, when its not producing covid, is knocking out this rubbish, packaging it and sending it all over the world.. :)

kinda shocking seeing the size of the Elco next to those old sailing vessels. PT boat is what, 78' and the Bounty was '90?
HMS Bounty was inches short of 91 Feet overall. The Skywave 80-foot PT boat is strangely 80 scale feet long. :lol::smack:
20220519_163025.jpg
20220519_163054.jpg

I resolved to buy an LPH! I REALLY wanted the 1/700 Wavelines USS Okinawa LPH-3 kit. Few can be found. I settled for a much less pricey Academy 1/700 Dokdo. The Academy 50th anniversary issue is molded in multiple colors making painting optional. She comes with stickers and decals and requires no glue to assemble Her. Should be a "Snap", Right?!
Her air group is unimpressive. One Lynx, one Super Puma and one Seahawk. We'll just see about that!!
My model came freight free for $24.00 from Tennessee.
20220519_162925.jpg

I bought this PEE set from Scotty Zuieback of Dauntless Hobbies in California. The picture of the1/72 BF-108 Taifun set made it appear that a cockpit came with it. It didn't. I cain't recall ever buying a model airplane for fit a PEE set before.
20220519_162820.jpg
20220519_162833.jpg
20220519_162841.jpg

This new Fly Models 1/72 Bf-108 Taifun came all the way from Poland with, a war on next door in good time! Recessed panel lines, detailed cockpit and resin parts for things like the Argus engine spinner make the new-ish Fly Models kit an excellent excuse to divest myself of the ancient Heller 1/72 issue.

Not a model but i thought i would share this.
I needed some 0.5mm drills, essential when detailing.
so i turned to e-bay as you do and within a couple of days these arrived from England but still in their Chinese packaging.

View attachment 150448

OK so just bad luck they got crushed in the post (actually it was poor packaging)

But these are not drills, they are just bits of twist steel cropped off to a length. no chance at all of drilling a hole or even getting a hole centred as there is no cutting edge or point to centre the drill.

View attachment 150449

this is why ebay is so often a waste of time and money but what really gets me is ....somewhere in China, a factory, when its not producing covid, is knocking out this rubbish, packaging it and sending it all over the world.. :)
Very disappointing. I hope you can get your money back at least.

A few 1:12 detail parts for Cars ( and motorcycles) arrived today as research into my Porsche build get underway.

DSC_3803.JPG

this stuff is very hard to get in the UK, it nearly always means importing from Japan with all the associated costs which usually makes it unviable.

Well this is gonna be a long one. Not because I bought a lot but thanks to the extreme generosity of someone on another Forums who surprised me with them.

Here's the one I bought. I got it with an Amazon Gift card given to me for my birthday:

full

I already did get that started.

A few days before that T-62 came in, I got a message letting me know to BOLO, because a box was heading my way filled with small scale treats that he knew he was never going to build. He wasn't kidding. Here they are, armor first, than aircraft, then ships:

full

That is one I'd wanted for awhile, but never figured I'd ever get because I had too many others I wanted more badly for my limited funds to stretch to this. It's been started.

Next is this one still sealed:

full

This one I hope to make an air ambulance:

full

Now a few Airfix kits, starting with this one:

full

full

full

And now for the ships:

This one, as you can see, came with no instructions. No worries, I can download them from Scalemates:

full

I wrote that on the box top so I wasn't frantically trying to find them once I decide to build this.

Now for all these Tamiya ships:

full

full

full

full

And finally another one I'd wanted for a long time:

full

And that one is started as well. All those details and more can be seen on my next tour of my plant.

Enjoy!

1654291868835.png

Finally pulled the trigger. I was able to scan one photo from a film strip but I still don't know what I'm doing. There are no other options these days, least that I can find, short of sending all slides off to have it done ($$$$$). My Dad had a flat bed scanner with a 8 slide caddy when he did it first time, I'm thinking now maybe that wasn't a bad rig after all. But this is much higher resolution. One slide at a time!

What's great, once I'm done with it I'll probably be able to get my money back reselling.

Nice Bob. I've got an Epson flatbed scanner so I can digitize my pictures & slides one of these days. You know, in my free time..... :lol:

Back