• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Last 747 being delivered

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
The last 747 is being delivered to it's owner today. I remember when they were first being built, I know all you other old folks do as well.

I remember how they said airports will have to be rebuilt to accommodate the aircraft and the pilots would not be able to taxi unassisted because they sat so high.

I regret that I never got to fly on one in my travels. Not sure I could have gotten upstairs but it would have been neat.

Anyone know if anyone is still flying them for commercial service?

I remember back in the 70's a friend of my parents worked for the American Airlines maintenance facility in Tulsa. American bought their first 747 from Pan Am and American had also just built a brand new hanger for the 747's to be housed in. We were able to join in and go see the new giant aircraft which was a real big deal at the time.
Another little fact about that hanger is that the door openings where a little short by a few inches and they had to do some odd things to get the planes in without dragging the top of the rudder under the top of the doorway.

Amazon has a documentary out about the life of the 747, including many pilots design engineers and the like. Interestingly there is a whole bit at the end showing who still uses them

My last flight on a 747 was in 2012 between Hong Kong and Melbourne. Upstairs was fun when I got seated up there on a 747 to Tokyo in 2002.

Back