• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lakenheath Phantom (1/72 Accurate Miniatures F-4D)

helios

A "simple" build I was building for a classic Monogram/Revell GB on another site. I actually acquired 2 of these cheap as there was no box, decals, or instructions. This build will be mostly out of the box with the exception of decals (Xtradecals USAFE England) and weapons. The only reason I'm going AM for the weapons is the AIM-9s are the wrong type and the kit AIM-7s are total crap (more work to correct than my time is worth).

A couple update pics to catch up to where I'm at now.

Cockpit. Tried using a colored pencil in lieu of dry brushing for highlighting details. I might try a light grey or white next time. At certain angles the silver almost disappears.

Typical Phantom intakes. Made even more difficult with the raised details/panel lines.

Base coat on main fuselage.

3D-Looks Good.gif

That phantom paint scheme is awesome. Your shading on the bottom is excellent. Is this considered SEA camo?

I just remembered that one of my ROTC instructors had been enlisted when the 48TFW was switching over to F-4s from F100s.
What a change!

Flat coat on. Masks off, you can see the faint blue tint to the front windscreen now. Starting to assemble the gear. I did have a bit of an oopsie...so there is a bit of a "repair" area on the STBD wing. It definitely makes the "fading" in the clears more apparent. This is the first time using the MRP matte clear...and I think it will pass muster well enough as a replacement for the untouchable (and now unattainable) Testors Dullcote. I did find it seems to perform best spraying straight out of the bottle. Adding thinner seemed to take a little bit of the matte out of it.

Back