• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kryptosdaddy's Kate

kryptosdaddy

Here I am, The screens date didnt turn out to clear- but that is 10-21-11.

1/72 scale Kate from Revels Pearl Harbor Attack set- apparently this is an old Hasegawa kit from the 60's - but this comes with a resin 800 kg bomb with PE fins...The panel lines are recessed and the molding is clean- no figures. Sinca the kit is so basic, I'll screw myself a little and weather it using the salting technique, never tried that before.

172_kate.JPG

CR

Ok, I'm moving this up- I'll have pics tomorrow or tuesday.

This is an old kit! There are some funny parts attachment points on the smaller parts and a little bit of flash- the seats are awful! One big dropout on one and the other has a ejector pin mark and flash growing out of the seat like a plant! If I could i would replace them, instead I'm repairing. I'll probably 'upholster' the seats with cigg pack foil- at 1/72 you wont notice!

You won't notice anything! but it seems most of the parts on the kit's ONE full tree are dedicated to the office.

The cockpit is 2 seats, three panels, two side windows and a lower one for the bombardier. There is a stick for the pilot, and another for the bomb controls- molded side panels in the fusc. walls and a machine gun for the gunner. No seat for the gunner.

The kit comes with a nice torpedo! Three pieces, right left and propeller. It looks smooth. The resin bomb is another matter- with the emphasis on bomb- this thing came in three parts- front and rear of the casing and a tiny sheet of PE for the fins.
After clean, cut, clean, wash, glue, fall apart, re glue and repeat, cuss, clean , drill, snip (some 22 gauge), glue, hold, clean fingers and reattach to get the bomb just right so I'll only have to spend an hour sanding straightening the damn thing I can assure you none will never read a review of mine telling about building a full resin kit! :vmad

The engine is in two parts, just the front cylinder heads and a vvery nice cowl and prop.

The outside of the kit is very nice- recessed panel lines, one piece bottom wing and single piece stabilizers. After I get done with the gunk inside and the bomb, finishing the body should be a treat as it test fits nearly perfect...

There are no figures.

The canopy is one big piece of clear, the instructions call for it to be cut if you use the rear machine gun.

I don't know much about the Kate- if any know more about the gunners rear position I'm ready to hear!

Forgot- What is the real color scheme of this? The instructions call for dark green fs34092 for the main, and cement grey fs26424 for the bottom.

Does this sound right? Cant find any Kate info online that covers this point. Thanks

Thanks James- I picked them up this morning along with some flat red for the 'suns' Don't know if that color will be right, but it will be close.

Said i would post a pic Tuesday- This will be it for the day. Had to have an emergency extraction this AM, so the rest of the day will be spent playing Dr. House with my Vicodin..Zzz..

kate_dry_fit.JPG

The wings are glued but the fusc. is dry fit together while the cockpit parts dry- cute little kit..

finished interior

kate_cokpti.JPG

And the bomb...

kate_the_bombz_28129.JPG

The resin bomb looks like crap, the fins wouldnt align correctly into the slots ect- my fault, I'm not using it.

kate_the_bombz.JPG

This is going on instead. CR

DONE!!!! I didn't use the resin bomb- I used the torpedo, I had to build a little guard for the rear over the prop and painted it brown to simulate wood. once again i have proved my absolute inability to use PE! lol

kate_done.JPG

kate_done_28229.JPG

I think i may have over weathered it! My first time using salt and chipping the paint by knocking it with an Xacto handle! That was easier than using the salt! lol

kate_done_28329.JPG

kate_done_28129.JPG

I still may do a tiny touch up in some places, i see part of the wire antenna didn't get fully painted- oh well. lol

Back