• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Komatsu G40 bulldozer - go figure

wds

This one will be a stab at the “Under new management” ribbon.
It is the Tamiya Komatsu G40 bulldozer in 1/48 scale. (#32565).
This would have been captured an re-painted in Army livery.

:soldier "Somewhere in the South Pacific ...." :soldier

Komatsu_1.jpg

Komatsu_2.jpg

Cheers,

Bill

Komatsu G40 bulldozer

So …, yes, this is well underway.
Assembly was straight forward, and everything fit very nicely as you would expect from Tamiya.
It was mostly assembled, but left it in components for ease of painting and weathering.
I primered it with rattlecan primer (whuch has worked great in the past) with terrible results. I don’t know if it was the brand of paint, temperture, humidity, or what, but it came out looking like it had been sprayed with fireproof insulation. (It seems like it is always something…). So off to the garage sink for some tooth brush work with enamel thinner. It cleaned up nicely and was re-primed with some valleo dark brown thinner with lacquer thinner.

Stay warm and dry or cool and wet (depending on which hemisphere you are in).

Thanks for looking,

Bill

Komatsu_3.jpg

Komatsu G40 bulldozer

Thanks James!
Thanks, Bob!
Thanks Swordsman!
Thanks Ed!
Thanks Luiz! I hope to see one too. It's in sharp focus HD in my head. :laugh:

Grinding along. Tamiya Olive green. Some metalic grey was sprayed on the blade, then "hairsprayed" before being dusted with black, and then "hairsprayed" again before getting the green. Tracks were dry brushed with silver enamel. I was influenced by a tractor that I saw this fall that had its tracks all shiny-ed up from recent use.

Model is still in its component form (not glued up yet) for further fading and weathering. It snapped together nicely for photos.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Bill

Komatsu_5.jpg

Komatsu_4.jpg

Komatsu G40 bulldozer

Thanks Gator!
Thanks, Ed!

A few decals were applied from the "decal archive". It's just a guess. :idonno :laugh:

Thanks for looking!
Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Bill

Komatsu_6.jpg

Komatsu_7.jpg

Komatsu G40 bulldozer

Thanks Bob!
Thanks, Ed. Yeah, probably too good. I thought about making it look brush painted, but then it would look like I painted it with a brush. :idonno :laugh:
Thanks Luiz!
Thanks Swordsman!
Thanks Smurff!

I hope you all had a nice Christmas and that you got everything you wanted. :yipee :beer

But let’s get back in character. ...The tractor was given some artist oil paint dots in white, light yellow, browns, and black which were blended with mineral spirit for fading and shading. I’m planning on letting this dry for a few days and then clear coating it with a gloss coat prior to pin washes.

Thanks for looking. Have a happy New Year!

Cheers,

Bill

Komatsu_8.jpg

Komatsu_9.jpg

Komatsu G40 bulldozer

I got a US figure for the tractor from The folks at Sprubros along ith some Verlinden resin stuff for other projects.

I’m not crazy about the pose, but I would have been too much effort and above my paygrade to turn that right arm into something else. Before I received the figure, I thought that I might be able to use the arms from the Kit on the new fig. , or put the GI head on the kit figure. Due to the size disparity, that wasn’t going to work. The GI would have looked like a T-rex with those tiny arms. :laugh:

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Bill

Komatsu_8~0.jpg

This one looks like a father/son fishing trip or something.

Komatsu_9~0.jpg

Komatsu_11.jpg

Working on that roller radius for wear and tear.

Komatsu_10.jpg

v112

Komatsu G40 bulldozer

Bill I bet you could do it. Looks like someone is a little out of scale.

Sorry I missed your previous update, love the seat, leather looks great. OD looks spot on, great job streakin'. :popcorn

Back