• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Kitbash - or a real mess on my table

kryptosdaddy

Hey, I have been slugging it out with this thing for a month or so. Its been an interesting trip as it has become more a scrap build than a kitbash! So at this point progress is slowwwww. But it's fun. Thas what we are here for right?

Meet Testors 1/48 Area 51 UFO kit bashed with MPC'S Enterprise Bridge Set- I know, I know, some here from another forum have seen this already but I thought I'de push it around a bit just for fun...

first fitting...

kit_bash_4.JPG

And now for the secret ingredient- plumbers putty!

kit_bash_6.JPG

Finally some paint and NO putty!

kit_bash_9.JPG

Now some power- it's not a frisbe ya know? At least not YET!

kit_bash_22.JPG

And now some more- this site does work alot better on Firefox! I keep forgetting to use it...

If you notice in the above, everything is attached to a 'plate'- this is how the kit progresses.

A close up of the plate and cockpit- bear with me, this is ALL very rough...

kit_bash_24_a.JPG

Finally got a decent rough on the front- of course the top of the saucer has been cut...

kit_bash_26.JPG

A view of the top from the same moment...

kit_bash_28.JPG

Finally some color! And my cheesy test light made from a Bud Light promo necklace- save those things guys!

kit_bash_35.JPG

Latest pic of the profile- please remember that this thing is NOT glued together yet! The plate is silicon-ed in place and the saucer halves are taped together. Nothing becomes permanent until the shell is painted...

kit_bash_43.JPG

That's it for now- Sunday I realized the plate had shifted causing me to make a major mistake. The top became force fit and warped, i stripped some stuff out of the rear and made the correction. hopefully by Saturday I'll have something really juicy to show ya!

All comments and criticism are welcome, this is my first big kit bash and it's become a scratch build. I'm doing everything I can to keep this between these two kits- though my scrap box will disagree! lol,

Be Good! CR :popcorn

And I'm bored. Been doing some testing this morning and I may as well show this- first new pictures in a week- please note the fin is comic backing board lol- and this is just a test fit to get the curve right- I'll end up trimming that angle a bit. front end is scratched card and sheet styrene, and its feathered together. That front is removable and will be one of the last things in the final...and do ignore the grey cup at the bottom, that is the original top to the kit. It won't be used. But it makes a perfect building stand...

kit_bash_50.JPG

kit_bash_52.JPG

kit_bash_54.JPG

... brackets on the engines are for rudders- they wont be in the center, just the top and far left and right. I want the thrusters to look HUGE without being all that big. Anyone have a suggestion on grills for the rear? I'm lighting this monster and am leaning towards an orange light. I do not have a set plan for this, this is just cobbeling. CR

I've had dental work easier than this...

Here's the bottom, still needs a little cleaning and touch up after the cure.

kit_bash_62_bottom.JPG

CR

It might feel like a root canal right now but later you'll feel soo good that you overcame adversity to make a great work of art (y) (y) (y)
James

Too true- so far with this I have learned the basics of airbrushing, have done my first major-for me- scratch building, and have come to the understanding that I am still my own worst critic.

It's a good day! lol

Hopefully, still havn't figured it out yet. But I wanted to have the exterior painted and buffed first- its still not glued together.

Ok here we go again... because I'm poor- lol- i only bought three bottles of Alclad- 1 transparent Blue and two Aluminum- I have used that Aluminum on several things around the place including my NF-104. SO, now i have only about 1/2 of a bottle after these pics, keeping that in mind i sprayed everything, including the bottom with the airbrush using Testor's chrome silver, then topped this off with the Alclad aluminum.

I like it, the bottom is solid silver/aluminum as is the fin. The When I started painting the body i realized i was putting the paint on in streaks- so i finished it with one pass like that. I'll paint it again later, but I'm keeping the streaks ON. When it was all chrome silver the color was solid and kinda had a toyish look- i think the streaks give it some substance, enjoy...

kit_bash_66_paint.JPG

kit_bash_63_paint.JPG

Yes this is a 12 inch scale rule to give some scale to this beast...

kit_bash_64_paint.JPG

The front end will be completely redone. I just came to that after seeing the thing painted. i like it, but something about it other than the color just doesn't match the rest...

kit_bash_65_paint.JPG

Note the 'striping' of the different metallic s, I wasn't expecting it to look this nice- it stays.

I'm winning!!!! :fencing

Happy Saturday CR

I second what MP said, it's a very nice effect you got there :) keep up the good work!!

Back