• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Sikorsky H-34, USMC

Steve Ski

I've been out of the loop pretty much all summer, but Autumn is here which means the model bunker is fired up and ready, just a bit more firewood prep and when the snow flies, it's full steam ahead. I did make the time to fill a request for a friend.

This is the Sikorsky H-34 from Trumpeter in 1/48th scale, re-issue, formerly an MRC/Gallery production. I haven't built a helo in almost 34 years, so when a close friend asked me to build this for his dad, a Nam Vet, USMC, for the upcoming Marine Corps anniversary in November, I said, "Youbetcha!". He’s got a shadow box with all the trimmings for the presentation and this H34 will top it off.

After watching a few vids on aircraft weathering I figured it was time to give it a whirl. I used Mig's and AK's acrylics for the entire build and Raw Umber oils for the pin wash. I printed the HMM-263 unit designation on decal paper, first time for that, and did some minor highlights with Titanium White oils feathered in very lightly on panel sections.

This was the quickest build I've ever done (3 weeks) and I wasn't shooting for complete accuracy, just get er done. This was a fun build and it got me into the model bunker months ahead of schedule, yehaaa!

All comments welcome.
Cheers, Ski.

P.S. It has been brought to my attention that the tail number designation should actually be "EG". It was very difficult to find much intel on this particular unit, but now I know, t'sall good. The build ships this next week.

_DSC0169c.jpg

_DSC0173b.jpg

_DSC0176b.jpg

_DSC0177b.jpg

_DSC0182b.jpg

_DSC0181b.jpg

Hiya Duke, should be presented in on the 11th Nov.

Thanks Gator, and Mr. Sprueman, greatly appreciated.

Back