• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

JAPANESE STUART

iambrb

Ok…I want in! So I was digging around and found one more model stuffed in the back of my closet
FOUND051.jpg

And I was thinking, “Darn, no-way with other commitments + hunting season I can get this done by Feb.” I REALLY do not want to get in a hurry, not my way! Then, I saw this in the instructions:
FOUND052.jpg

A-HAAAA!!!!!!!! A great idea was born!

Man, this thing is gonna be TINY! Check out the upper and lower hull together, compared to a built Jap Type 97 and my trusty old T-55!!!!
FOUND053.jpg

So what do y’all say??? Am I in????????

Just get a shot with the date and time somewhere of the unbuilt model and you're in. Nice subject! :popcorn

Hot Diggity!!! I get to play with the Big Kids!!!!
FOUND056.jpg

I am very keen to try Color Modulation and some other weathering ideas on this!

OK, so here is the first on this! This is about 1 hour into it. This little kit from Academy is not a fall-together like a Tamiya, but really is pretty nice!

FOUND069.jpg

Hey, notice how little this tank is in 1/35th scale! That is a standard Squadron sanding stick that I am sure we all have in our toolkits – I sure would hate to build one of these in 1/72 scale, ya’ know?

FOUND070.jpg

This has a very complete interior, but it is not my intent to build all that, as I wanted to try some paint techniques on this particular baby, and as a result, it is moving right along! I made a slip up in the headlight guards, but I think I will be OK, I can have it looking good when I get to the priming stage. Anyway, while I wait to get paid so I can get some items for the Swedish S-tank, this one is trucking right along! Hope to have the build complete this weekend, but not sure, it is getting packed up pretty quickly already!

It is a nice little kit. Coming along nicely there Bruce. What scheme where you thinking of trying?
James

well, looks like I hath made an error!

FOUND071.jpg

see the gap in the commanders cupola! I got overzealous getting rid of a sprue-burr! Going to have to do some fill-in work to get that corrected! Any ideas on how to correct that?

I am pretty much ready for paint already! Just one or two more things to add-on. There is some stuff that will be added after the paint (rusty muffler, for instance), but it is close. If you do not use the interior, this thing really pops together!

To get rid of the gap? It is easier to stuff plastic strips if the gap is parallel on both sides.

Regards,

OOF, I got seriously ambushed by a butt-kickin cold on Friday, all I did yesterday was sleep and take meds! I felt a bit better today, and managed to get some work done. I know, stop blathering and get on with it, right? Ok-Ok, here is the latest:

I did some digging, and found a surprising number of pics of captured Stuarts on Guadalcanal. All show that the tank had been painted (as compared to pics showing US markings in the Pacific), and they appeared to have some real wear on paint.
Accordingly, as the plastic it is molded in is light tan, I decided to straight-paint it with a black undercoat, no primer. When I mixed the Acrylic paint, I thinned it out a good bit… well, too much, really, and thought “hmmmm….let’s try it just like this.” So I did and hoooo-eee, is it ugly!
FOUND102.jpg

FOUND103.jpg

Mike Trent calls these ‘happy accidents,' and as you can see, as it turns out, it was! The Polly Scale Acryl IJA Green laid down juuuuuust right. After it dried, I sort of ‘pieced it together to make sure I had it all on there nice and even, and I think it turned out pretty well
FOUND104.jpg

FOUND105.jpg

Here is a closeup of how the ‘corners’ in the turret turned out, just the effect I was looking for
FOUND107.jpg

Here is another from above, showing the damage to the fender
FOUND106.jpg

I wanted to simulate the damage found in this pic on the internet of a captured Stuart:
FOUND075.jpg

Well, this cold is seriously kicking my fanny. I got everything cleaned off the deck, and I am going to “Med-Up,” and stretch out with my house cats. Y’all have a great one!

Neat. That looks pretty cool and the damage looks like you got what you where aiming for. Nice work. Now enjoy the fur blanket and get well soon. :D
James

OK, it got cold enough here for me to turn on the heat (64 degrees inside, but don't tell my wife!), but butt kicking? :S James, you want to enlighten the boy? :D Looks good, Bruce! I like the worn look quite a bit!
:drinks

Back