• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Italeri Bugatti 1/12 FINISHED

paddy

Was going to start this in the new year but got bored with work slowing down for the holidays so.........

9oIIlTfAFYJm9me7iOQvgap2NppS6M5GPRjBcxbW.jpeg

Earlier this year Italeri released a completely new addition to their 1/12 classic Italian sports cars from between the wars.

Most of the previous models were re-engineered Protar models from the early 70’s acquired by Italeri when they purchased Protar.

The problem with these earlier kits was that parts designed to be made in metal for Protar were often not strong enough when re made in plastic. The metal parts also required assembly using screws and this method has also been transferred to the plastic parts. More often than not a small item like a track rod or steering rod might have a small hole in the end to take a screw but this hole will simply burst open as the self-taping screw tries to cut a thread as it has nowhere near the strength of the metal it was designed for.

This new model has pin and hole fixings and is a std design that should be glued...hooray :)

The very first part i assembled seems to have been moulded back to front

52661139294_a96fca4783_c.jpg

Original gear box with three inlets to the left

_DSC8232.JPG

_DSC8233.JPG

Kit parts with three inlets to the right :)

I had no idea what that brass thing was supposed to be but looking ahead in the instructions i found a rod that fits on top and completes the part.

_DSC8239.JPG

amy way i will get the basic chassis sorted which is straight forward then report back here with the full build.

Last edited:
Right so we have a basic chassis, from here it's all plain sailing It It doesn't look much but ity is painted it's just that Italeri say Ghost grey and molded the plastic in ghost grey and my primer and topcoat are ghost grey :)
There is actually MRP Aluminium, duraliminium steel and ghost grey on these parts but in this light they all look the same. the sad thing is none of this will be seen on the finished car.
What i have noticed looking ahead is the car has no floor. It's built like a Hurricane Fighter which has no cockpit floor either. which is interesting

_DSC8250.JPG

_DSC8267.JPG

_DSC8283.JPG

_DSC8285.JPG

Very strange as i have tried all sorts of methods including a grey primer and a balck undercoat but i cant get any diferance in colour between MRP Steel/White alloy/dark Alloy and Duraliminium :) so i am just calling this shiny silver and i will weather it in diferent shades.

I have used this method for plug leads beforeas its not easy to attach the lead to the plug

_DSC8300.JPG

_DSC8301.JPG

_DSC8306.JPG

Last picture shows the kit parts against the altered parts. The kit part is good but the tube is 1.5mm so to scale thats 15mm plug leads... My lead is is .7mm which gives a 8.5mm plug lead which looks better

Supercharger?! :yipee: Separate sparkin' irons look like a big plus.
She doesn't look like an old Protar model kit.

Jurys still out on whether this new mold kit is any better than the protar copies...

The Ruber tube from the super charger to the manifold i am guessing was a problem in the day as some seem to be reinforced with copper wire and some with a load of Jubilee clips
P017Web-25.jpg

52608387401_1e479d7155_b.jpg

I have gone for copper wire

_DSC8318.JPG

Its a bit like hoovers, only Hoover make a hoover, everyone else makes vacuum cleaners.
Jubilee is the trade name of the original worm drive hose clamp but only Jubilee make them :cool:

Very nice as usual Paddy!
I was tempted to get this kit, but have managed to cut back on kit buys. (If I never buy another kit I wouldn't ever finish what I have)

I fitted the radiator OTB in that chrome they do and it looked awful :)

_DSC8325.JPG
_DSC8327.JPG
_DSC8328.JPG
_DSC8333.JPG
_DSC8346.JPG

Last picture is more like it as i am going for the aged look for this car..
So now i am experimenting. I doubt they would have used chrome in the 1920's,more likely nickel plate which usually shows its brass base through.

Back