• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Iron Mike's Firefly VC !

Thanks for that, Anthony!! I'm trying to grow, maybe it's working?

Hey Randy! Thanks, I really like that MG too! It's a shame to paint it!!

OK, who would have thought olive drab would be such an involved process? I read several articles on modulating the color on a monochromatic paint scheme and decided to give it a whirl. I started with a base coat of Tamiya Dark Green and then mixed up some Tamiya Olive Drab, J.A. Green and Sky to start on the panels. The idea is to make the horizontal surfaces lighter than the vertical or shaded areas, yeah! That's for the artistic types who can do that junk in their sleep. For the rest of us commoners, it's WORK! I added more Sky to the mix several times, making the center of the various panels lighter. It still seemed too dark, so after a test run by a trusted mentor, I added a little more Sky and shot the areas again. This time there's a little more contrast and should be OK for filters and washes. :S

Here are the pictures, sorry for the lack of step by step, but it is HOT in my garage and the less time spent there the better.

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

Long way to go yet, stowage to add, tracks to build, you know....

Thanks for looking, suggestions and comments always welcome! (y)

I took a few shots of the stowage I painted for the Firefly, just a mock up to see how it fits and to get an idea of how I'm going to secure it in place.

IMG_4192.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

IMG_4194.JPG

I still need to wash the crates and paint the oil cans, does anyone have a suggestion for some realistic rope to tie it all off with? Thanks in advance! (y)

Thanks for that, Anthony!! I'm trying to grow, maybe it's working?

Hey Randy! Thanks, I really like that MG too! It's a shame to paint it!!

OK, who would have thought olive drab would be such an involved process? I read several articles on modulating the color on a monochromatic paint scheme and decided to give it a whirl. I started with a base coat of Tamiya Dark Green and then mixed up some Tamiya Olive Drab, J.A. Green and Sky to start on the panels. The idea is to make the horizontal surfaces lighter than the vertical or shaded areas, yeah! That's for the artistic types who can do that junk in their sleep. For the rest of us commoners, it's WORK! I added more Sky to the mix several times, making the center of the various panels lighter. It still seemed too dark, so after a test run by a trusted mentor, I added a little more Sky and shot the areas again. This time there's a little more contrast and should be OK for filters and washes. :S

Here are the pictures, sorry for the lack of step by step, but it is HOT in my garage and the less time spent there the better.

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

Long way to go yet, stowage to add, tracks to build, you know....

Thanks for looking, suggestions and comments always welcome! (y)
I think you're on the right track Mike. Though the Modulation technique that I've seen the artist types pull off has much more stark variations of colors for the base. Maybe we need to wake up Dr. John or Rick to point us to one of their SBS.

take a look at Ian and Sven's articles about modulation and you'll see what I'm talking about with the wide range of color variation on upper surfaces.

Here's a good one from Rick.
http://ricklawler.plastic-garden.com/?p=182

You are on the right track. For me I would loveto see even more tonal variation in the surface colors. I would lighten the colors again and give a cloud like - or allowing some of the lower colors below showing through - coat. To me the Spanish modulation only works on spherical shapes and you certainly could do this on the turret. Once you have acheived that then go even lighter and hand paint the raised detail. The higher the detail the lighter the color you should apply. In typical modulation these raised detail get some garoush colors, to me I like a bit more realistic approach and continue to lighten the base colors. When this is set then you can start to blendtot all with filters. If you don't have a lot of color gradations the filters will just make the colors muddy.

HTH

I like it Mike. Looks really cool. Now not meaning to rain on your parade, but as far as I understand Commonwealth tanks werent OD. I think more of a Bronze green to khaki drab. Maybe this link would explain better. http://worldwartwozone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15490-british-tank-colours-normandy/page__view__findpost__p__251213
Hope I'm not offending.
James

I like it Mike. Looks really cool. Now not meaning to rain on your parade, but as far as I understand Commonwealth tanks werent OD. I think more of a Bronze green to khaki drab. Maybe this link would explain better. http://worldwartwozone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15490-british-tank-colours-normandy/page__view__findpost__p__251213
Hope I'm not offending.
James

Easy fix. Just finish up what I said above and then add one blue filter - tada!

Hey guys! Thanks to all who have replied!! When I say comments and suggestions are welcome, I mean it! It doesn't offend me one bit to get nudged in the right direction, especially when I'm off track! I have a blue filter for panzer grey and was planning to do some dot filtering too, I was just really afraid to get it too light on the base coat, was beginning to look goofy. You're right about the spherical shape, Dr. John, it's tough to find where to draw the lines. I'll check the links thoroughly, didn't have much in the way of color pix to work from before.

Next issue is the Canadian uniforms and their colors, seems all the color pix I've found are Tommies! Can anyone point me in the right direction, please??

Hey guys! Thanks to all who have replied!! When I say comments and suggestions are welcome, I mean it! It doesn't offend me one bit to get nudged in the right direction, especially when I'm off track! I have a blue filter for panzer grey and was planning to do some dot filtering too, I was just really afraid to get it too light on the base coat, was beginning to look goofy. You're right about the spherical shape, Dr. John, it's tough to find where to draw the lines. I'll check the links thoroughly, didn't have much in the way of color pix to work from before.

Next issue is the Canadian uniforms and their colors, seems all the color pix I've found are Tommies! Can anyone point me in the right direction, please??
Hey Mike if you're doing 13/18th Royal Hussars then thats British.
James

Hey Mike if you're doing 13/18th Royal Hussars then thats British.
James
Damn, guess that explains it!! :huh:

does anyone have a suggestion for some realistic rope to tie it all off with? Thanks in advance! (y)

Hi,Mike.
For some realistic rope; take a look at the 'ship department' in a good modelshop,there is a chance
you can find just what you are after!

The firefly is my favourite of al the shermans,good to see this one on MA! (y)

greetings,Ron.

Thanks Ron! I'm off to the big city tomorrow, going to find some suitable rope. This is what I messed with this afternoon, MiniArt's Wall With Base. This is a first attempt and is still in progress, but I'm pretty happy with the kit in general and am liking the colors.

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG

The back side

IMG_4278.JPG

IMG_4279.JPG

I primed the pieces with Plastikote Red Oxide primer, then air brushed Tamiya Flat Earth on the bricks, Tamiya Red Brown on the dirt areas and Tamiya Nato Black on the cobbles. After those dried for a bit, I started dry brushing the cobbles and grassy areas with various Humbrols. The walls are Vallejo, the cap is Polly Scale Old Concrete. I washed the bricks with Citadel Sepia wash, it's still wet in the pictures and I intend to do more tomorrow. I plan to add some grass around the property, for that owner has been out of town for awhile look and will attach the wall to the base after the door is hung. What do you think?

Back