• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ICM U-boat tyype XXVIIB seehund late

Picked this kit up at the recent Poole show for no other reason than I liked the look of the thing. It has been MANY years since I built something this small but thankfully it was not a complicated kit. I could not resist adding a few tweaks and even added the hinge for the hatch. I also cut off the solid bubble on top of the hatch and intend to replace it with a AFV domed light lens. Should work well. The torpedo's had some details added to the noses too.

No in progress pics I am afraid as I got it built in a matter of hours. Pure fun this kit just what modelling should be about

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0178.jpg

DSCF0180.jpg

After a coat of primer I sprayed the model with some xtracrylix gunship grey then added a drop or two of neutral grey and sprayed this in selected areas for a bit of contrast. looks very subtle but I did not want to go too heavy! Torpedoes painted in tamiya NATO black, a darker mix of gunship grey and xtracrylix silber RLM1.

DSCF0186.jpg

DSCF0187.jpg

Yesterday I started adding some fine chipping with a fine brush and sponge around the sub then after a coat of klear I added a pin wash of paynes grey around some of the details followed with some rust stains and some lighter marks with burnt sienna and light grey oils trying all the time to keep it subtle. Decals are form the spares box as the kit decals just shrivelled up in water. Later today the model will get a matt varnish then its just a case of adding the torpedoes and painting the metal parts.

DSCF0192.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

And all finished. wooden base is an old furniture makers sample ideal for displaying the model

DSCF0194.jpg

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0197.jpg

DSCF0198.jpg

pete

Oh yeah baby ! That's shagariffic (y) .

The finish is awsome. And I could not imagine what kind of individual it would take to go out in open water in one of those things with the intention of actually shooting torpedos at anything. :woohoo: .

Gary B)

WOW! didn't see this coming. Good job Pete!

Gary have you see they now think that the Japanese midget subs may have actually gotten their payload on target during Pearl Harbor attack?

Makes me want to dig out my Verlinden 1/72 resin kit! Very well done- aren't subs fun?

Cheers-
chuk

Well I for one would certainly look into that if you were going to do another one! You've hit this nail right on the head IMHO

Stitch

Back