• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

I hate washes

The Zod

I swear,washes are gonna send me to the funny farm. I applied an overall wash. I applied two coats. Over a clear gloss coat. I waited a few days after I applied the wash,then applied two thin flat coats. This is what happened. :bang head

The wash more or less went away.

sm15.jpg

:bang head

I was so hoping this would look good enough for the IPMS show in a little over a week. I don't know if I should spray on another gloss coat,add a darker wash,then add another flat coat. :vmad

I hate washes too...complete waste of time, by the next day you're all filthy again and then...oh sorry

Kidding aside, I really don't understand this need for clear coats...a clear gloss coat before washing, a clear
flat coat after washing...meh...

I have had good results spraying Tamiya acrylics then a wash with oils thinned with mineral spirits...no clears added.

But I agree, some more info on what you tried would be helpful.

Tom

Sorry for the delayed reply. I used acrylic washes. I applied two coats over the entire model,and let dry for a few days.

I just wish I knew why it disappeared. :idonno

To me Zod it looks more like you applied an acrylic filter. To get the effect I think you are looking for you want a pin wash. Also to put an acrylic wash over an acrylic sealer is asking for trouble...

To me Zod it looks more like you applied an acrylic filter. To get the effect I think you are looking for you want a pin wash. Also to put an acrylic wash over an acrylic sealer is asking for trouble...

Thanks John. :) It just frustrates me how some of my washes look great,while others turn out bad. I am going to use some MIG washes.

Usually when I do pin washes,they looked more stained.

So what you're saying is...he washed the wash away?? :silly:

Chad I always think of using opposing mediums for the layers. Say, Acrylic base, enamel wash, acrylic sealcoat, enamel filter, acrylic clear...ect..ect..

That does make sense. :notworthy

So what you're saying is...he washed the wash away?? :silly:

Chad I always think of using opposing mediums for the layers. Say, Acrylic base, enamel wash, acrylic sealcoat, enamel filter, acrylic clear...ect..ect..

Just wanna drop my 2 cents ....

I tried a bunch of different washes even home made (90% thinner 10% paint)... I always used Promodellers wash (which now is called florymodels wash) Its very simple to use and its just a mixture of "whatever" with a type of clay... its very nice to remove it (just "spit" on a cloth and rub it away), still sometimes it gets to much matt for my taste so I use the new washes from AK and some times thinned pigments...

What I suggest is ... get a piece of plastic (a blister from a box will do) make some streaks with the engraver and then test it with a bunch of washes and see what is best for you.... cant go wrong with that... by the way waiting days to remove a wash... not for me!!!

Back