• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How to cut circles?

Greg Kimsey

Hi folks. How does everone cut perfect circles when making custom part. You can see in these photos I have tried to cut a round clear part to replace the poor plastic piece for the instrument panel if a 1/72 Grumman Hellcat model. The white squares on the mat are 1/2" squares so the piece I am making is teeny! I used a circle template and scored with a needle tool to cut part way through the plastic then finished with an Xacto knife. Is there a better way?

Attachments

• 20220823_154215.jpg
    20220823_154215.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220823_154126.jpg
    20220823_154126.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 16
Considering the sizes that you are trying to make, 1/72 scale. I suggest using Future/ Pledge floor clear floor wax. Use a brush and just dab it where it needs to go. it may take several coats to get it where you want.

Here is the Wax from Amazon...

Considering the sizes that you are trying to make, 1/72 scale. I suggest using Future/ Pledge floor clear floor wax. Use a brush and just dab it where it needs to go. it may take several coats to get it where you want.

Here is the Wax from Amazon...
I have that! I use it to pre coat for decals. I have never built a 1/72 anything before. I like 1/48 and 1/35 normally, but I had this kit laying around at the store and couldn't sell it.

Lately on instrument panels I have been mixing up a little clear resin and carefully fill them till they are level. As the clear resin takes a while to set up, I then go away for a day. It does give a real nice flat shiny surface and you can see the instrument down through it as if it isn't even there.

The best circle cutter I have ever found and used is the DSPAIE Circle cutter. Very small circles can be made with it. I did a review of it and posted this you tube video I found.
James

Wait you're cutting clear parts for faces on an IP...in 1:72? Forgetaboutit...
I'd go with the Future option if you really feel like you need to do it. 1:72 IP on a wildcat is going to be lost pretty fast.

Wait you're cutting clear parts for faces on an IP...in 1:72? Forgetaboutit...
I'd go with the Future option if you really feel like you need to do it. 1:72 IP on a wildcat is going to be lost pretty fast.
No, not the instrument panel faces. It looks like a clear gun site that sits on top of the panel. The model had the piece molded in opaque square plastic but the part on the plane is round and clear.

To fill in IP dials I have been using UV resin made for tying fishing flies. It is activated by a UV flashlight and dried hard in 10 secinds.

Little round pieces, you will need a punch set. I have both of the original Waldron punch sets and use them often. When I was at the Chattanooga Nationals there was someone there that was selling Waldron tools and if I remember correctly, had the 2 punch sets brand new. Don't remember now who they were, but if you search you should be able to find some small punch sets. I would check Micro Mark as one possible source.

Back