• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How is this technique accomplished?

Ltjps24

Very interesting wingy thing (diehard armor modeler - not an aircraft modeler here)on fire - does anyone know how the technique is accomplished?

h5c10516.jpg

WHOA!!!!!! If somebody knows I want to know too. That is fantastic!!!

Terry :blink

I have said time and time again. You can't scale smoke and fire...I stand corrected.

Where was that, what show? Any idea who?

Looks like they took cotton and colored it up some how. Also looks like the flames are glossy, I think that's what makes it different from other attempts. Wonder if it's also lit from under?

Outstanding. Looks like different shades of celophane or filter sheets and maybe clear resin, but illuminted too. It also looks like there's a motor spinning the prop, so perhaps there's some battery powered action going on here.

Of course I have no idea, I'm not an AC modeler (although that's all I built in the 70s, Woolworth's and Monogram kept me busy filling the ceiling of my bedroom).

It's a gorgeous piece.

Maybe this; https://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/sprue-u-tips-and-techniques/147119-make-fire-with-water?limitstart=0&start=12#151322 has something to do with it. :hmmm

Greetings,Ron.

Could be! Color up that water effect around a LED.

Mats you haven't been sandbaggin' on us have you?

Just found this surfing the web, can't seem to track down who did it or how they did it. Here's another one I found surfing around, looks to be done in the same manner but with a different use of the technique. Sure would like a tutorial from somewhere or someone...

h4456dc9.jpg

Sure Moon Puppy - Pintrest - searched diorama and out the hundreds of pins these were there, just happended across them. The exploding truck comes from someone's Facebook page. The Hellcat was pinned on a board titled "Scale Models" - not being a Pintrest geek like I'm an armor geek I can't figure out how to find the source...so... :facepalm

No Bob i'm not sandbagging you :D
I wish i knew how that is done, because it's beautiful! :notworthy
Must be cotton painted in different smoke shades but for the fire :idonno
I will keep an eye open if i see the pics somewhere.
//Mats

Without getting closer to see how they did it I think it is possible to get good results using cotton batten. I have made smoke and flame that way. The black smoke looks very much like cotton batten scrunched up then tufted out and sprayed with various shades of black and grey. The shaped smoke and flames can be simulated by soaking the batten and then twisting and pulling into the desired shape. As the paint fries it hardens and retains the shape and can also be pulled a bit to break it up into looser tendrils. You could also soak it in white glue and water and let it harden before you paint it to get a harder more compact looking surface (maybe done with the flame part?). Having said all that again I will say I dont know how they achieved their look without getting a good close look or better yet asking the builder.
James

I think the cotton batten technique is the most likely manner, with some of the Vallejo water effects and a bit of cellophane added to round things out. I'm sure there's a LED bulb in there for the brighter effects as well. Just some thoughts...

Looks like some kind of gel medium under the plane, maybe something similar to water effect? Done correctly I'd imagine you could take that sort of thing and use it to reproduce the rolling liquid look of fire, and then painted it would look pretty good. I've seen some very convincing painted fire in the past, but dont remember where I saw it.

Back