• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How I paint road wheels. Moved from old forum

jknaus

Administrator
I hate painting road wheels. I'm sure most of you feel the same. So this might make life easier.
Background. I use some sanding pads that have a 1-2mm backing of spongy foam. I found them at the hardware store and they are stiff yet soft. One day I knocked over some tire paint and it soaked into the pad. Being in one of those moods that day I took a road wheel that was painted the chassis colour. Rolled it over the paint blotch. Well the result looked pretty good. So I did it again but with a tooth pick in the center and while exerting some pressure and the paint went right up to the edge of the rim. I tried doing it again and again a nice even paint band. This was cool, and before I knew it I had all the road wheels done.
I told my buddy and he has been doing it ever since also. He went one step further and tried a shell. It gave him a perfect tip. I'll bet it would work for boots which you could then "stamp" onto a vehicle for foot prints. Hmm wonder if it will work for a (Jenny don't look) prop blade tips. (You looked didnt you)
hth someone else.
The sanding pad from the back.
DSC01314.jpg

With paint (not too thick but not too thin.
DSC01315.jpg

The victim.
DSC01317.jpg

The act.
DSC01318.jpg

The result.
DSC01321.jpg

This would work better if I had a painted wheel. Unpainted it seems to rub off a bit.
James

James

Excellent idea! I've used sponges for painting but this is a unique trick which I will definitely try (even on prop blades). You're correct, this method does work better on primed or painted surfaces which accept the transfer of the paint from the sponge in lieu of bare plastic.

Thanks again for the cool idea and documenting it with photographs.

I obviously missed it on the old site.

Regards,

Hi James,

I will try it, after I paint the wheels the same color as the chassis. Thanks a bunch for this very cool and practical idea!!! :notworthy

Cheers and take care! :Hiay
Fernao

Back