• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How about a 1:1 Scale scratch audio system from 69

Something very old but really different.

Since I lost my parents I sadly realized there were so many more questions I never asked..... :(

So keep telling Bob, its your thread :popcorn

Even better because your stories reflect my memories of those times (Im 62) B)

Yes over-the-top stereo, tell me.... :woohoo:

I was not a cop, but I know everything about long hair, painfull coloured clothes and everything connected.

willem

Thanks Willem,

Guess I'll keep telling them, God knows I like to, at least until senility robs me of them! :D

Well here is one you will love Bob sr. My late great uncle George Huntley was a glider pilot during WWII. He got out early for some medical issues after a crash sometime after D-Day. In the early 50's George was still flying and decided to surprise his sister (My late Grandmother) by flying over her home and jumping out of his plane.He lands by parachute in the yard and they had to pull the chute off the roof and out of trees but he was fine. This story has been told through 2 generations, it was witnessed by my aunt Catherine who was a child at the time and my G'Ma. Old family stories never die.

:eek:hmy: (y)

What a ride - that is just the most amazing account of someones life that I have heard. So many experiences, talents and achievements in one person - and (as you said) you fitted in those amazing (and large) dioramas.

Thanks for sharing Bob - I'm dumbfounded as to how you did all this and just blown away.
There are people who pass the the time and there are those that LIVE!

Well done Sir Billy Bob! :laugh: :popcorn . I'd love to hear more.

Regards
Ian.

Well here is one you will love Bob sr. My late great uncle George Huntley was a glider pilot during WWII. He got out early for some medical issues after a crash sometime after D-Day. In the early 50's George was still flying and decided to surprise his sister (My late Grandmother) by flying over her home and jumping out of his plane.He lands by parachute in the yard and they had to pull the chute off the roof and out of trees but he was fine. This story has been told through 2 generations, it was witnessed by my aunt Catherine who was a child at the time and my G'Ma. Old family stories never die.

That is really cool! People do some truly amazing things that are never credited except by their family!

Thanks for sharing!

:eek:hmy: (y)

What a ride - that is just the most amazing account of someones life that I have heard. So many experiences, talents and achievements in one person - and (as you said) you fitted in those amazing (and large) dioramas.

Thanks for sharing Bob - I'm dumbfounded as to how you did all this and just blown away.
There are people who pass the the time and there are those that LIVE!

Well done Sir Billy Bob! :laugh: :popcorn . I'd love to hear more.

Regards
Ian.

Aw Jeez,Ian, Glenn has given me a new nickname!!!

It was only amazing when I put it all in writing. While I was doing it, it didn't seem amazing at all!

I will say that I set out in life to explore it in all possible ways when I was very young. Made a lot of mistakes, but came through it all pretty much unscathed! As I said. I'd sure as hell like to do it all over again! If there is such a thing as reincarnation, maybe I will!

Make the most of life. It passes so very quickly! One day you are young, vibrant, bullet proof and full of energy. Next, you turn around a couple of times and you're old. That's just the way it is.

Make the most of life. It passes so very quickly! One day you are young, vibrant, bullet proof and full of energy. Next, you turn around a couple of times and you're old. That's just the way it is.

That is true. Make the most of it. IMO, what matters most at the end of the day is what we leave behind, the legacy (more ways than one in your case Bob :D ).

Every time a New Year comes, I think of the year that had just passed, mistakes that I made, what I did learn from them, the ones I love who are here or elsewhere and the ones who are in a better place. I also look back at the happy times and that puts a smile on my face and a feeling of gratefulness embraces me.

The words I've seen you write on here Bob only add to the dimension of what I had thought of you prior to joining this forum. A man who has achieved a tremendous lot and who is giving back so much to others. You are 90% the reason why I have embraced this hobby. Apologies, I know it sounds silly, but that's how I feel.

Digressing again ... :smack

Laurence

That is true. Make the most of it. IMO, what matters most at the end of the day is what we leave behind, the legacy (more ways than one in your case Bob :D ).

Every time a New Year comes, I think of the year that had just passed, mistakes that I made, what I did learn from them, the ones I love who are here or elsewhere and the ones who are in a better place. I also look back at the happy times and that puts a smile on my face and a feeling of gratefulness embraces me.

The words I've seen you write on here Bob only add to the dimension of what I had thought of you prior to joining this forum. A man who has achieved a tremendous lot and who is giving back so much to others. You are 90% the reason why I have embraced this hobby. Apologies, I know it sounds silly, but that's how I feel.

Digressing again ... :smack

Laurence

Laurence,

All I can say is Wow, how do you follow something like that. I believe you are giving me more credit than is due, but I really appreciate your saying those kind words.

I'm afraid your words have left me a little short of them.

Thank you,

Bob

As I have mentioned in another topic, I am moving from St. Louis to Springfield, Mo. While rummaging around packing, I found these two items that pertain to my biography mentioned earlier in this thread.

The first is when I was deputized a United States Marshall and sent to Frankfurt Germany to bring back a multiple killer who had escaped to Germany. The extradition papers were signed and approved by President Reagan.

BobPaynes_zpscd8ak7l4.jpg

The next is perhaps the biggest bust of my career. Lorenzo Petty was the brother of Sam Petty who was involved in the shooting and killing of four uniformed officers in NYC back in the 70s. Sam got off on a technicality and returned to St. Louis where Lorenzo was the number one heroin dealer in the country as defined by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

My partner and I sent them both to federal prison in March of 1979. It was a really big deal at the time! Here is my subpoena to his trial.

Petty_Subpoena_zps91bm5na1.jpg

Just thought somebody would be interested!

Bob

I would like to encourage you on the Book idea. Such a diverse and interesting "Journey" should be chronicled, for others to learn from. I do not wish you to underestimate your impact on our Hobby World. :salute
Page 2?!! :zen

Just another reason why, You Da Man! :notworthy

A funny thing about this. In the worst area of St. Louis, my partner and I were known as Latimo and Moko. (Letterman and Mokwa). When the marshall and I walked through the Frankfurt Germany Federal prison with members of Interpol, suddenly we heard, "Latimo, what ya'all doin here in Germany Man"? I answered, Marlon, I'm here to take your skinny ass back to St. Louis for trial. All he had to say after that was "Awww man, that's some Mickey Mouse B.S."

After we boarded the plane, I gave him his rights and he gave me a full confession that I wrote on a napkin and he signed it. As far as I know, he is still in prison in Jefferson City!

I would like to encourage you on the Book idea. Such a diverse and interesting "Journey" should be chronicled, for others to learn from. I do not wish you to underestimate your impact on our Hobby World. :salute
Page 2?!! :zen

I always thought when i retired, things would be nice and easy, quiet and all that. Was I wrong! Sometimes Susan and I talk about how we ever had time to work! There are several books I would like to write, on my police career, and another on the history of the Modeling World. Ken Jones, a dear friend, who retired last year as the long time editor of Military Modelling magazine out of England, have discussed doing that one together many times. I believe that between us, we have known everybody who was anybody in the modeling world. Right now, I am focused on this move. The mover's estimates of weight for moving our belongings and the museum is 18 tons. It will require two semis and a large moving van. The move alone will set me back about $11K. Ouch!

Bob

Good luck with the move Bob & Susan, hope it all goes smoothly :zen :zen :zen

Once you're all settled in your new place, all unpacked and all models in the new museum, do think about the book thing will ya ? I'm placing an order right now, in advance, and I'll fly over to collect my autographed copy B)

Just say the word :D

Laurence

Dear Bob...good luck with the move...18ton :frantic :facepalm :frantic ...

Best!

Luiz

I really hate having to move. Bob at least someone's doing it for you, my opinion it's worth paying for. Bumper sticker on my vehicle "Yes it is my Truck-No I won't help you move! Good luck my friends it was a pleasure meeting y'all at Eagle Quest ... :salute

Back