• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hawker Typhoon

phantom II

Master at Arms
Along time back I promised myself I would not purchase anymore Airfix airplanes :S but after getting a look at their new kit I just could not resist this Typhoon . :)

Hawker_Typhoon_001a.jpg

At any rate one could not go very wrong for seven dollars for a brand new kit of this quality.

Hawker_Typhoon_002a.jpg

I have already decided on some parts exchange. The exhaust and since this kit only came with a four blade prop , a three bladed prop borrowed from an Academy kit.

Hawker_Typhoon_003a.jpg

Thanks for looking .

Cheers, Christian B)

the new kit should be quite nice, maybe a silly question but why change to the three bladed prop Christian?

the new kit should be quite nice, maybe a silly question but why change to the three bladed prop Christian?

It's just part of a strategy Phil. I have an Academy that has the four bladed prop and a Pavla car door for future opportunities . . . . Just thinking here for the long run. :hmmm

What markings are you looking at Chris?
JAmes

Not sure James. I thought I knew :facepalm but the one in my mind was a car door version. I would like to hang some rockets on it though . I'm open to possibilities/ideas . Of course the D day stripes are necessary.

Seems to me that some were rocket capable and others were bomb capable but not both. Am I right ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Canadian Sqns did both. http://canadianwings.com/Aircraft/aircraftDetail.php?TYPHOON-31
I believe, but am not positive that some Sqns specialized. Can look through my 2nd TAF books this weekend if you like.
James

Hi James. Really not sure about the Typhoon capabilities but I'm quite sure the Hurricanes were like that. I could have jumbled the facts together.

I'll take any info you're willing to share. I'm trying to wrestle this Spit in order right now :fencing

Also need to remember that decals for said bird need to be available somewhere .

Thanks, Christian B)

I seem to remember from working on loadouts for an old flight sim that the Tiffies either carried 8 60lb rockets or bombs, but not both....but like James said, there may have been some rigged for both to meet needs during wartime...

I've never seen them carry both, but either or could be carried. They weren't rigged for one or the other specifically. Hope that makes sense and clarifies my earlier comment.
James

Yup-- either the 8 rockets or 2X500 or 2X1000 pounders under the wings....

They tried doubling the rockets but had issues,,,the 8 ended up doing pretty good damage on trains and transportation centers....

Okay Chris decals.

Aviaology OD72003 Sharkmouth + 2 others if you can finds some.
DP Caspar 72003 2 markings from Op Bodenplatte Jan 1945
Eagle Strike 72009 6 markings
Model Alliance 72204 3 markings from 2nd TAC
MPD/Mini Print Decals 72528 1 marking
Superscale 72-719 5 markings RAF/RCAF Typhoon 1bs
Techmod 72034 3 markings
Techmod 72042 4 markings

Hope that helps.
James

Thanks James.

A lot of material to look at . I'll have to go one at a time but I can probably eliminate the 1945 one.

I wonder if airplanes that were built after D day came with the lower stripes already painted on or not.

In other words, did they actually participate in the D day assault.

That's one of my contentions about this campaign. It is sometimes difficult to determine who the players were in a fairly narrow field. Other wise I could just paint stripes on anything and call it good.

I'm also curious about the car door version verses the bubble top.

Were the bubble tops just converted from the car door models ? There is no change in designation like it was a different bird. It is just a 1B as opposed to the 1A which had different armament.

Cheers, Christian B)

A really good book is The Hawker Typhoon Including the Hawker Tornado by Richard A. Franks published by Valiant Wings Publishing
They also have a detail set.

These are good books with lots of info. Only one I have not yet got is the Tempest book and with PCM coming out with a 1/32 Tempest I may have to pick it up.
James

These look like very nice books James. My only problem would be the price as compared to the cost of this Airfix kit which was only $ 7:00.

Cheers, Christian B)

D day stripes were hand painted for D day in the field, they were not put on by manufacturers. They were only painted on in the run up to D day and for about 4 weeks after and then removed. It was purely a confusion on the day thing. If you reckon on all stripes from the top of the wings removed within a month and all stripes completely removed within 6 months you would be about right. I doubt pilots really liked them as they defeated the point of camo.
Where it gets complicated is with the typhoon and Tempest which had stripes applied from new from 1942 but be careful as these were 1ft wide black and 2ft wide white and were to stop confusion with the FW190. These stripes were factory fitted but the practice had stopped by 1944 well before D day.

These are Typhoon std stripes

These are d day stripes.

confused :) ?
Basically if your model has even stripes on the upper wings it would have been a within 3-4 weeks either side of D day. If on the lower wings it would have been between June and December 1944. If it has uneven stripes it would have been between 1942 and the end of 1943,

Basically if your model has even stripes on the upper wings it would have been a within 3-4 weeks either side of D day. If on the lower wings it would have been between June and December 1944. If it has uneven stripes it would have been between 1942 and the end of 1943,

Not either side of D-Day but from June 3 for transports and June 4 for Fighters.

Then you got the stripes that were used during Korea... :blink

Back