• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa F6F-3..or 5

Sorry to keep messing you about with this but i have scrapped that. It looked ok from most angles but i just noticed the prop shaft was about 30% off centre in the cowling at the front. I couldn't see why but its possible the cowling,, whats left of it, has sprung as i cut so much away. Anyway it had to come off along with the PE to find the fault. Not sure i will reuse the PE. As Heavens E says they are very soft even before you anneal them and somehow i have to hang the cowling flaps on them as well and its just not really up to it.
so back to scratching my head...
I will beat this into submission :)

DSC_1334.JPG

I think this is as far as i can go with the engine cowling frame. I made it out of plastic card, i did make one with fixing holes in it but it had no strength at all and sagged under its own weight. A better man than me might have done better with the PE frame but it was incredibly fragile and once it lost its shape a bit, impossible to get back into shape, again because of the holes.
This thing is fighting me all the way :)
Lots of tidying up to do but getting there slowly

DSC_1341.JPG

Today i ordered some sand and rocks from one of these gaming places. Why did i do that ? the world round here is made of sand and rocks...oh well, i also ordered a a bit of wood as a stand for my LRDG chevy
I have no idea what i am going to do with it, i read somewhere you mix up a stodge with PVA glue or something ? but the truck will not be enough to make it interesting, it will need something in the foreground. I am thinking, wheel off and up on wood blocks, a guy make a brew on a fire would be good but i cant do people or fire :) :) While the other guy fixes the wheel...
Maybe a grave and a crude cross as they just buried their mate while the other guy changed the wheel ?
I dont know, something will come to me :)

I am going to call this done.....
Its OK, i learned some things along the way like how to do exhausts and Windsor and Newtons Mat clear is excellent. I learned that you need to be a better modeller than me to get the full benefit of this Aires kit and i learned dont try and run before you can walk. I have been out of this game for several years and it takes a while before it comes back to you :)

DSC_1368.JPG

DSC_1369.JPG

DSC_1372.JPG

DSC_1373.JPG

The Royal Navy used about 1000 of these in F3 and F5 versions for carrier opps. the Hase model here is not bad although i did cut off a lot of it. Probably would have been nice to drop the flaps and would be better if you could pose the canopy open without it sticking up in the air, its way to thick. I used Future to lay the decals but then i tried for the first time Windsor and Newtons acrylic mat varnish. It sprays well with about 50% rubbing alcohol. and gives a very a very mat finish. I have in the past used Tamiya rattle cans for mat spray and find them good when new but the mat effect reduces as you use the can, by 50% full its almost reverted to semi gloss. I have half a dozen half full cans now so this is a real step forward and a fraction of the price of Tamiya as well.

DSC_1349.JPG

DSC_1367.JPG

DSC_1358.JPG

DSC_1355.JPG

Glad to see the back of this now, it was getting a chore by the end, i think i did about everything twice or more. Looking forward to doing some trucks or Armour now.............but

I did pick up the Aires Stuka detail kit the other day :cool:

Well, you still managed to finish a Top Shelf kit! That is still far better than I could have done. Way to go Paddy!

A pleasing hunk of Hellcat! Don't be to hard on yourself. I wise, older modeler once told me "When you add P/E or resin or aftermarket part, you have increased your flaw potential." You did good, considering the quality, complexity and surgery required to complete your Grumman! :ro:

Back