• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/48 P-47D-25

jeaton01

Another Hasegawa 1/48 kit on the bench. Using Eduard PE and a Superscale decal sheet to do Jaywalking Molecule. Not sure how a P-47 relates to being a molecule, but I'm sure there must be a reason.

0018p47.jpg

0048p47.jpg

0028p47.jpg

0038p47.jpg

I'd love to hear it, Bob, but so far no such luck.

Now it has to sit for a few days while the paint hardens up to be fit for a good polish. Used some Model Master Gloss Dark Sea Blue this time for the undercoat. Maybe it would look good with some F6F markings for a Navy carrier bird? Where is that tailhook, it must be here somewhere!

0058p47.jpg

I'd love to hear it, Bob, but so far no such luck.

Now it has to sit for a few days while the paint hardens up to be fit for a good polish. Used some Model Master Gloss Dark Sea Blue this time for the undercoat. Maybe it would look good with some F6F markings for a Navy carrier bird? Where is that tailhook, it must be here somewhere!

View attachment 162840
Looks great!! Don't forget the folding wings.

Off to a great start John!

Funny, I have a Tamiya P-47 in the stash that I thought I might try in a navy tricolour scheme someday!

Thanks, guys. I think I'd use a P-47N for the navy thing because it had the range for a carrier fighter, unlike the earlier marks. I do have several kits to use for that. Of course Warren wouldn't need the wing fold, he'll just put floats on it, if he can find some big enough. I did come across an account of how the name came about and I will share that later.

The larger markings are stenciled and painted, as is the tail striping and the flap don't step red.. I was doubtful the name in decal form would look very good because of the expanse of clear film involved, but it was tedious to do the artwork needed for that stencil. Codes are easy because I have all those letters and numbers already and it is just copy and resize work. The stars and bars and the smaller markings are decals. I did the layout for the invasion markings with stencils so there was no black or white under the insignia that might cause bleed through, and it gave me the proper spacing and alignment for the stripes. Getting it all aligned so that the insignia was situated properly for the intercooler doors was a little hair raising. That's always a fun spot on the P-47.

0068p47.jpg

This one is in the display case, another nice Hasegawa kit. There are a lot that say the Tamiya kit is the best, but this one can't be far behind in quality and ease of build.

After the photos is information from Norris Graser on the background of the airplane's name and artwork.

0078p47.jpg

0088p47.jpg

0098p47.jpg

0108p47.jpg

0118p47.jpg

0128p47.jpg

0138p47.jpg

0148p47.jpg

And with my 1/48 P-47 collection to date, the ProModeler P-47N, this one, and a Koster/Monogram XP-72. Plans are afoot for a P-35, P-43. P-47B, and some Razorback D's to follow, and an XP-47J conversion using another Koster set. Don't know how soon, but at least all the pieces are in place. I also have a rather sad little MPM XP-47H and the excellent Tamiya P-47D-15 razorback done in 1/72.
0158p47.jpg

Origin of the Jaywalkin molecule

The guy who wrote the B29 article reported that he was told by a scientist on the project that when flying at high speed, the stabs went transonic - which was no small problem for the SuperFort! He then tried to describe the effect in simple terms for the readers. Basically, He said the air molecules hit the stabs and scattered in many directions causing an unwanted transonic vibration.

Moving forward a few months to the September issue ( which Capt. Lipscomb also read) someone wrote into the magazine & had his letter published in the readers section.

He noted that he read the original article and was intrigued by the " Jaywalkin' molecules" that the scientist had described. He then asked if the magazine artist had any artistic take as to what the " Jaywalking Molecules" looked like. Below his query was an image of the artists rendering of a Jaywalkin' Molecule.

After seeing this caricature, the pilot got his tent mate (Charles Dooney) to help him apply this same image to the cowl of his P-47 and apply the name Jaywalkin' Molecule to the fuselage side.

Now if you see a similarity to the style of artwork and application of the name to the Turtle series of 509th P-47s and the same type of lettering down the side of The Molecule, (there were 10 Turtles) you shouldn’t be surprised by the fact that Dooney was the artist and pilot for all of the Turtle P-47s.

Norris Graser

I saw that magazine article referenced but didn't see the artwork. Fun story, thanks John.

The Jug looks great! :notworthy

Yes, I had some nice history background with the late Mr. Graser. His son is selling the remaining decal stock and stash.

Back