• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German SPG

Rob Norton

Well, I finished a model, okay? This was my get through the winter kit and I've even forgotten all the exact details of what vehicle this is and I tossed the box and directions already. I know. I know. It has that SIG (or is it Sig?) large caliber gun. I think it's got a great shape and it was half-price at my LHS. Pals at the local club want you to know that no airbrush was used in painting this. They think it's pretty amazing but it's what I have to do all the time. Sorry to be so vague but, like I said, I finished a model, okay? Enjoy the photos!

sig_spg_004_20100405_1643783560.jpg

sig_spg_005_20100405_1945437459.jpg

sig_spg_006_20100405_1669170714.jpg

sig_spg_001_20100405_1351328311.jpg

sig_spg_007_20100405_2027695334.jpg

Well, if no one else will do it; I will.

How the heck did you do that without an airbrush :blink :huh: :idonno :hmmm ?

Ohh, and by the way,

THAT LOOKS FANTABULOUS ! ! ! :woohoo:

Gary B)

oooooooooh yessss! old school painting with brushes and no airbrush involved! how i love it! i love and enjoy old school so much!

phantastic outcome rob!

Beauty build Rob , .......... yeah , ......... how in hell did you do that with no air brush ?

The coloring all blends nicely with no brush strokes [ anywhere ]!!!!

Great build Rob!! And an even more impressive paitnjob on the interior and the camo is awsome!! :woohoo:

Love it!!

Erik

Thanks one and all. Too Kind, etc., etc.

The short version of how is this: First, two coats (maybe three) of water and/or alcohol thinned acrylic paint in complimentary colors. Usually Tamiya as first coat since they've ruined the formula for brush painting anyway. Then topped with a better brand, in my case, usually Polly or Vallejo or occasionally Model Master. After that is thoroughly dry, I give it a thinner-based oil paint wash with Mona Lisa Odorless Thinner. This thinner isn't very strong and usually leaves the acrylic paint alone as long as you aren't too rough with it. BEFORE the thinner-based wash is completely dry, I take a Q-tip, or tissue, or even a large brush and wipe away most of it, going in the direction that rain etc, would fall on the vehicles and into corners, crevices, darker areas, etc. I keep at that until I get the color I want and until the brush strokes disappear. If you don't mind the mess, fingers can even used at this point. I like the control this gives but you stain the pinkies. This wash and wipe may need to be repeated if you don't get the color you want. Edges of camo patterns are dabbed with nearly dry Q-tips or dry-brushed on to blend the edges. After that, it's whatever weathering you would ordinarily do. I will still use darker pin washes at this point if I want and pastels more often than not these days. And it's all adjustable with a clean brush dipped in clean thinner if you go too far.

It doesn't always work so well. I don't show off the goofs and careful photography helps but if you don't have the cash, the space, or a spray booth, you can get away with quite a bit this way.

Please ask if you'd like more detail and thanks again for the comments.

Rob.

Back