• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

German Mottles

Phil

OK, do we love them or hate them!!! :hmmm

What I would like here is your Mix Ratio's preferred paint and PSI when doing them.

Maybe a short description on how you spray them too, distance etc, any tricks hints or personal oddities welcome!

Even a couple of photo's of your results would be a great help too.

Everyone must have a way to do these damned things - I'm sure there are a few like me who would like to see how each do them.

All I can say is super thin paint, very lower pressure and very thin lines to build up the look you are after.

I think it all depends on the scheme you are doing. Mottles run the gamut of light almost translucent to large blotches. When I do it I try and use a very thinned mix and low pressure and spray at verying speeds close up. So you go from translucent to thicker. Also I may do a couple of coats on some splotches to make them darker.

DSC00970.jpg

DSC00968.jpg

Dont know if that helps or not. Best suggestion I can give is to practice on an old model.

James

My 2 cents. Air pressure is 10 to 15 psi. Airbrush is within an inch of the model. Paint is thinned no less than 50/50 and I add flow release and retarder. If the mottles are too dark you can go back over the mottles with the base color thinned 10/90 (yes 10% base to 90% thinner).

Back