• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

General Jimmy Doolittle's RC3-2

:pilot I finally got off my butt, and did some painting on the RC3-2. Lower wings, glossy alclad laquer black, in anticipation of Brass, for wing radiators! :yipee
23June14_RC3-2__1.JPG

Upper wings, masked, sealed, ready to paint!
23June14_RC3-2__2.JPG

Alclad Black lacquer sprayed on upper wing surfaces as well. She should be ready to be all shiny & metalish, Friday/Saturday. Then, Floats & Rigging!! Yippee!
24June14_RC3-2__2.JPG

I've been making use of my Tamiya Airbrushing stands. they R Nifty!!

:pilot Model Master Brass metalizer. I dicovered the .020 tip in the G23 wouldn't shoot the grainy Metalizer @ 6 p.s.i., so I switched to the old Aztek, and put it on. Undersides;
28June14_RC3-2__2.JPG

the upper surface of the lower wing "crinkled" :bang head I have no explantion. I hope to finish the Curtiss, in time for the Region V regional Show in K.C.
28June14_RC3-2__3.JPG

A bit more sanding, prep, and re-shoot, with the a/c in the house turned a bit further down, perhaps.
28June14_RC3-2__4.JPG

28June14_RC3-2__5.JPG

Upper wings came out nicely.
28June14_RC3-2__1.JPG

The box art shows a glossy black panel between the upper wings, but none of the references I can find bear that out. The pilot cannot see straight ahead, so no sense adding an anti-glare panel. Ahhhh! Colors!!

Quite correct. The radiators were built into the wings. No parasitic drag.
http://airpigz.com/blog/2012/5/7/jimmy-doolittle-the-curtiss-r3c-2-and-the-schneider-trophy-a.html
I may have some more work to do on the wings anyhow. :stinker

Quite correct. The radiators were built into the wings. No parasitic drag.
http://airpigz.com/blog/2012/5/7/jimmy-doolittle-the-curtiss-r3c-2-and-the-schneider-trophy-a.html
I may have some more work to do on the wings anyhow. :stinker

Don.t remember seeing it when I visited a good many years ago.

I see some strings in your future :facepalm

Cheers, Christian B)

I've realized that the paint scheme on the old Hawk box, is NOT Lt. James Doolittle's aircraft. :facepalm
I'm just going with the box art scheme, 'cuz it's so colorful!
RC3-2_10Jan15_1.JPG

Put on some Future, and started the Usci rigging.

Thanks James! :good:
More Future gloss coat!
RC3-2_10Jan15_2.JPG

RC3-2_10Jan15_3.JPG

RC3-2_10Jan15_4.JPG

Rigging starts with floats! 3 wires in the front strut! If you use the Usci stuff, get a big piece of white paper, and turn off your ceiling fan! Makes for less cussing!! :facepalm
RC3-2_10Jan15_5.JPG

Phantom is RIGHT! Here's the old Hawk rigging diagram! Strings a-plenty! :frantic
RC3-2_10Jan15_6.jpg

I thought it might be better to decal the vertical stabilizer, before I attached the floats, and began rigging. A wee bit of Tamiya tape to establish placement. I'm using some bitty individual,Railroad decals. It works really well to put a drop of water on the Model, soak the digit of the backing, and slide the decal into place. It's hard to make out my drop of water.
RC3-2_11Jan15_2.JPG

The little dashes are a bugger.
RC3-2_11Jan15_4.JPG

I set them with future, as my decal solvent makes them VANISH! Port side complete! :yipee
RC3-2_11Jan15_5.JPG

Yep! Rigging! I started by making 4 of these:
R3C-2_18Jan15_6.JPG

A teeny bit of ship rigging experience helps here. The Uschi stuff is springy, so I untangle every time it "BOINGS" :bang head White paper & good lighting is a MUST!
R3C-2_18Jan15_2.JPG

Insert the point end into the float, I drilled a .070 hole, which is plenty big for this dinky stuff! Ran it thru a similar hole in the wing strut, then doubled back, so I have plenty left to attach to the lower wing. 1 piece, 2 wires!! see?! Pull a bit of tension, then a little dab of CA glue to fix it.
Uschi fine rigging stretches! Lookie!!
R3C-2_18Jan15_3.JPG

R3C-2_18Jan15_4.JPG

Spings right back in place! Handy, but not without it's foibles.
R3C-2_18Jan15_5.JPG

Swipe of a sharp hobby knife, and the left over double-back is GONE!!

Back