• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Future + Semigloss clear

Phil

Can you mix Future with Tamiya X35 semi gloss clear to brush over decals to take the edge off them?

On my latest Sabre pics they will show you them with a brush applied coat of Future to seal them, but with a mass of shine.

This is one I do not want to spray another coat of Testors metaliser sealer over as I don't want to dull the shine anymore.

As the Future self levels, would it do the same with a mix of the semi gloss clear - anyonr tried this?

Also very critical - the mix ratio

Any help appreciated.

I know you can mix Future with Tamiya Flat Base for different levels of sheen.

But be careful and do a test first, I added too much flat and it came out frosty.

That being said, I don't see why you couldn't add Tamiya Semi-Gloss clear to future.

Try it out and test on something...Sure wish Tamiya made a clear flat though....

HTH,
tom

Sure wish Tamiya made a clear flat though....

They do have it Tom,it's XF-86 and it comes in 10ML.
I have it somewhere in my stash but never tried it before,so I can't tell you if it's any good or not.

Greetings,Ron.

Hah...Thanks Ron, didn't know they made one, wonder if it's relatively new...

Honestly, didn't know they made the Semi-Gloss either.

Tom

Hah...Thanks Ron, didn't know they made one, wonder if it's relatively new...

Honestly, didn't know they made the Semi-Gloss either.

Tom

Yeah,I think they are relatively new,Tom.

Their Semi-Gloss works fine,and also comes in 10 Ml, btw.

Greetings,Ron.

To be quite honest you can mix the Future with the flat base to any shine or dulness you want . Thin it with Tamiya X-20A , Tamiya lacqer thinner or Mr. color thinner or the self leveling thinner ( my favorite ).

Oh yeah, 91% alcohol work well too but it dries the finish towards flat unless you use some fluid retarder ( Liquitex ) to the mix.

Remember if you want it to gloss, you have to slow down the drying process ( retarder ).

Good luck. Be sure to try your mixtures on something unimportant then record your favorite mixture.

Not as hard as it sounds . Cheers, Christian B)

Ps, I forgot to mention the Vallejo varnishes available at Hobby Lobby. I have not tried the gloss yet but I like the others.

Back