• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

FINISHED, Nakajima Type 11 Nightfighter

matrixone

Finished this morning was this Tamiya 1/48 scale Nakajima Type 11 Nightfighter.

This was a very nice kit to work with and even the kits decals were very good.

Unlike German aircraft the paint scheme on this one was not very inspiring with its overall green camouflage paint and did not want it to look too drab and boring so I did some subtle paint fading by spraying the uppersurfaces in various shades of green to fade the paint a bit and it helps add some interest to the finish.
I also faded the markings a little to help them blend in with the paint job.
Paint chipping was done by a mix of silver paint and silver artists pencil.
The paint chipping was kept very light because photographs show these aircraft did not have much paint coming off the airframe like some other Japanese planes did.

403730912.jpg

403730911.jpg

403730909.jpg

403730908.jpg

403730907.jpg

403730893.jpg

403730892.jpg

403730891.jpg

403730890.jpg

403731124.jpg

Matrixone

Very nicely done Less . Nice worn finish and excellent exhaust .

Glad to see something non German finished to a high standard. :)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks Moon Puppy and Christian!

If I could do this one over I would not have covered up so much of the paint fading on the uppersurfaces but after comparing the pics of my model against photographs of the real thing the paint fading I did is not too bad.

The good news is I have one more Tamiya Japanese twin to build and what I learned from weathering the Nakajima will be put to good use on the next model. :D

After I clean off my work table I will go full speed on my next model, the 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Matrixone

As usual, you've fooled me with your time-machine photography. A real beaut, Les!

On a side note, my lyzdexia has had me mentally pronouncing your screen handle as "Maxitrone". Someone recently addressed you as "Matrix", forcing me to reexamine reality all over again! :gogo

WOW! It looks fantastic!!! I especially liked the exhaust pipes - they are very realistic. Congratulations on a very successful model (y) :notworthy (y)

Les, Do you mind if I criticize on little flaw??

That is my inability to get my models to look anywhere near a nice as yours!!!! :notworthy

Geez that is just an incredibly nice model!! :drinks

Greg

Hi Matrixone,

First of all, Im not an airplane guy, but into armour.
And thats not because I dont like planes (as everyone I did some long time ago), but I want to build in 1/35.
Simply no room for planes in that scale.

Well then, seen from my "ground-view" you made a really good life-alike weathered machine there !
Compliments, that is what armour guys love, make it look like it was in heavy circumstances.

You succeeded completely in that (y)

Willem

Thanks Greg, Willem and Sherman 18!

Willem,
I believe in weathering my aircraft models to match the conditions they were being operated in, models because of their small size need at least a small amount of weathering to help keep them from looking like toys.

Matrixone

Les, The Gekko came out looking great. I love the fading on the markings. So are you going to go to the IPMS show up in McMinnville this year?

Thanks a lot Ryan,
No I won't be going to that show, I am still out of work so I reduce my travels as much as I can to try and save money. When I can I do want to visit that museum and see their 109. The Tillimook air museum is not bad and they sort of have a 109...its one of the post war Spanish built aircraft and is painted in Luftwaffe colors.

Matrixone

Back