• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Finished Model Display

moon puppy

Administrator
Staff member
Cindy has been after me for a while to get some sort of cabinet in the house to display my models, maybe the Honey, Panther but not much else. Personally I don't think they are worthy of display but I wonder what you guys do.

I know we have one extreme to another, Dad has his well deserved Museum and on the other extreme...Paddy throws his stuff away :smack

I just have some shelving in my garage, probably not the most ideal storage location for plastic models. What do you do with your finished goods?

:popcorn

My stuff is just okay,but I do have some cabinets in the basement

DSC00369_zps3eab6129.jpg

DSC00370_zps406950c4.jpg

DSC00368_zps9bdf79c5.jpg

Well when I was teaching in the military I had an airforce hung from the ceiling. Gave them all away when I left. In the Flight Sim I had some models on display and when I came back to the job the a/c were broken (pilots playing with them) and the SA 2 was still here, but it disappeared. Now I have some figures displayed on a shelf in my office, some old models displayed in a "Lawyers Bookshelf" in my workshop and some models displayed in a nice curio cabinet in my library.
James

Right now I'm using a china hutch to put all my builds in, but eventually I want to build some real cases to put my models in, just dont have the room for them right now.

I have Seven on a shelf thick with dust...does that count ? the other 70 were converted back into..eh...kit form again :)
I couldn't part with my WNW builds after all the rigging and my 1/32 spit is a goodun.

Displaying requires finishing, so I'm out of the discussion.

But technically I 'display' parts on a bench for months at a time, then rotate to another, lather, rinse, repeat.

This is how I display all of my aircraft Bob.

IMG_6007.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

I just use a paper clip hooked to a picture hanger. Cheap and effective. Looks like I should have done some straighting of a few of them lol. Now I only have to deal with displaying armor and ships on a flat surface.

Displaying requires finishing, so I'm out of the discussion.

But technically I 'display' parts on a bench for months at a time, then rotate to another, lather, rinse, repeat.

:rotf :rotf

Ryan, I remember you showing that before, pretty cool. But a tank would like really weird up there like that. :soldier

James if your models are disappearing, that means you have a secret admirer

At least most of those planes are heading in the right direction "DOWN"

:rotf

Today, my models are in a shelf inside of my closet, to avoid dust. :silly:
My first tought it's make some acrilic box for each one. But I'm really considering do a cabinet like raiderfan2779.... :hmmm

Cheers

Art

This is how I display all of my aircraft Bob.

IMG_6008.JPG

Your a very brave man Nerdling ;)

I couldn't get away with that
1 - my 9 year old son would try and shoot them down with his BB gun, rubberband or any such weapon he can get his mitts on :vmad
2 - I'd be paranoid that I didn't get enough or to much glue on the tailwheel and it might pop out :eek:hmy:
3 - We get a few earthquakes about these parts lately :woohoo:

Looks good though :)

I display mine in the same fashion that Ryan does but I use clear headed push pins and some 4 to 6 lb monofiliment. It holds some heavy birds, even the 32 scale crusader is hanging that way. I just tie loops in both ends and loop it around the nose or tail wheel and the other end it looped on the push pin that is pushed into the sheet rock.

Right now, I only have a dozen or so completed so they are stored amongst my unbuilt kits on a shelf in a closet.

My plan is to build some sort of shelf during or shortly after the current basement renos! I was thinking of something cheap with some pine and glass shelves and doors..

Right now, I only have a dozen or so completed so they are stored amongst my unbuilt kits on a shelf in a closet.

My plan is to build some sort of shelf during or shortly after the current basement renos! I was thinking of something cheap with some pine and glass shelves and doors..

That's pretty much what I did, except for using Birch plywood and pine strips to hide the plywood edges. My idea for making the shelves adjustable was to cut strips of pegboard and glue them to the sides. you have to get the alignment right but it works.

h015.jpg

h014.jpg

Back