• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4F-4 Wildcat

It just seems that I don't have any luck with Wingy Thingy's. Again I started a kit that fairly good surface detail but then when it comes to the assembly the fit leaves something to be desired. Or maybe its just me. I don't know. I started to glue the cockpit and firewall in the fuselage and it ended up looking like this (see below) :bang head

Joe

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Well Joe I have seen worse. This kind of fit is typical that's why aircraft builders are little crazy. So get out the putty, sandpaper, and a scribing tool and join the rest of us crazy people. I am sorry for your problem, but don't give up.

:v

Terry, right now I have it clamped really tight and plan on letting it sit for a cpl days and then either try Putty or Super Glue. Scribing the panel looks to be easy but how do I redo the rivet detail?

Joe

It looks like some careful trimming will improve the fit greatly. See where the parts touch at the lower rear belly? Sand those back (by degrees) and the whole assembly will more back. Check the other areas and the vertical gap can be eased as well. lastly- can a temporary brace across the fuse improve the fir until the glue dries? Just jack that thing where it will do best with a length of sprue or toothpick. Don't give up just yet. Finesse it!

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately its already glued together. So I am going to try the fill and sand method.

Joe

I think I got my little problem fixed. Its not perfect but much better now. I used some Mr. Dissolved Putty very carefully and I think it did the trick. That is how it looks like now.

Joe

IMG_0759.jpg

Getting closer. Started to mask and attached the landing gear. Now waiting on mailman to bring me the Vallejo primer I ordered from SB. Heard some good stuff about that primer. And then hopefully I can start finish her in the next cpl weeks.

Joe

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Done, Finally. I am glad I have her finished. Not happy with the outcome though. Tail wheel broke of. The hailed 502 Abteilung liquid masker left residue on canopy. Had some fit issues to battle with and one landing gear leg doesn't want to stay in place. But I think the paint came out ok. Added magic thread for aerial.

Joe

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Well done Joe...I agree with you that the paint job looks sweet!! Sorry to hear about all the background troubles...but I think she looks the part Joe! I've got a Hobby Boss FM-1 on my shelf I've been eyeing ...but there is much to be done first!

Back