• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

ERSATZ M10 PANTHER

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
Hello TNTer's,
some of you might recall that I posted my build progress of my Dragon M10 on the old site, well I got into the paint on this beast again and made some progress. I started with Vallejo Model air Acrylics to get a good variation in the tone of the green base. I then finished with Artists oils in varying layersover the top. I have made mine quite dirty and ruffed up, as I have set it just before it was knocked-out. The photos of all of these vehicles seem to show a rather beaten appearance;they did see battle in their short life and backing on this condition, plus the use of second hand Panthers that would have proven hard to clean and paint well, like any other vehicle from the field, i went dirty :laugh: .I know this won't be everyones 'cup of tea' :silly: but I painted the model to what I though and also to what I would enjoy looking at for a number of years to come.
PLEASE ALSO NOTE that I did go easy on any deep chips and scratches so that it would not be that badly worn to not fit the vehicle use.
b7profile.jpg

I used this refernce for a base, as this was different to the other vehicles having the white circle around the star painted out. This presented an interesting challenge paint wise. I did not try to make the overall green olive drab but more like a mix that the Germans had to come-up with from their own colors - I did not feel that they would have had the opportunity to get any real US Olive Drab [they had been on the retreat since Normandy and were not getting any opportunity to overun American supplies].
IMG_8514.jpg

I ended up putting on the muzzle break (even though I liked it better without) due to info from a fellow modeller who claimed to have seen a PHOTO OF THIS TANK KNOCKED-OUT WITH THE MUZZLE BREAK STILL ON before the common photos seen with it missing [in it's resting place].
I still have to paint the willys jeep . :unsure:
I depicted the engine deck and rear plate of the turret as poorly painted, the sheet metal add-ons were given a more green look, while the original Panther parts have some yellow coming through. The inside sufaces of the add-on sheet metal are depicted as unpainted, starting to develop slight suface rust [I don't think they'd have been painted].
IMG_8987-1.jpg

IMG_8981.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

IMG_8983.jpg

IMG_8958.jpg

PLEASE CLICK TO THE RIGHT OF THE THUMBNAILS TO GET THE IMAGE TO LOAD. iT WON'T LOAD WHEN YOU CLICK DIRECTLY ON THE IMAGE.

IMG_8974.jpg
:laugh:

Ian,
I am always in awe of your work, and this is no exception...I am asuming that you will have this and the willys in some kind of dio..........

Pete :peace

:)Thanks Jenny, glad you like the result.It has been a very long time since I painted an American green vehicle - I was a bit nervous.

:unsure: Ian.

Thanks for the reply Pete and I appreciate your support. I will be putting this into a dio with the willys and a couple of figures, standing in the mud discussing the operation.

moonpuppy, Ryan, Pavel, Tony and Massimo, thank you for taking the time to post. I appreciate your comments as they will help motivate me to finish off the tracks and other bits.

Brokeneagle

Beautiful work Ian !!!
This is a stellar build of a Panther/M10 , a long time ago I was involved in the muzzle brake or no brake debate , ......

Your build is picture perfect to the photos !!!
I have three photos of different tanks as M10's

The first is in shadow but to me shows the muzzle brake ...........

Panther20M10.jpg

A little closer .............

M10panter.jpg

The pic with the barrel in the building ....... no claims here ......

G1.jpg

My favorite , in front of the Chevy sign .........

m10pthrr.jpg

fk.jpg

:) Matt, Shawn, Jose and Cheyanne.............thanks guys.
Sorry for the delayed reply (work is really busy at present and I am not getting near any model stuff or posts. :(

Ian.
Cheyanne - thanks for the extra photos. B)

Back