• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Eduard MIG-21 SMT

Skinny_Mike

Hey everyone! Its been a busy year end break for me. I am getting in a lot of building. At the December meeting for my local model club, we decided on 3 in house contests that we were going to conduct. The first was “M for March”. Basically the rules are; build a kit that has an M in the name for the March meeting. This was the perfect excuse for me to build the Eduard MIG-21 SMT in my stash.

Post11_zpsbc7472e7.jpg

Since I am a pretty slow builder, I figured I better get started. Little did I know just how quick this thing was going to go together! I started the kit just before Christmas, and have been taking some pictures but I haven’t stopped to post anything, until now. So here’s the update…

All the internals are painted and ready for assembly. The engine bits are at the top of the folder and the cockpit parts are at the bottom. The shock cone was painted in radome green from Akan paints. I haven’t used Akan paints before but they sprayed really nicely. For those that don’t know Akan seems to specialize in Russian paints and are color matched.

Post12_zps940cec23.jpg

The cockpit was detailed painted, I didn’t use the photoetch for the side consoles, assembled and then installed, along with the shock cone. I added some weight to the nose by squishing some fishing weights and gluing them to the side of the fuselage. I also filled the shock cone with little fishing weights and then filled it with super thin CA glue to secure the weights in place. The aircraft is pretty nose heavy now.

Post13_zpsd315a1dc.jpg

Post14_zpsd7831155.jpg

Once all the innards were installed I assembled the fuselage halves. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the assemble engine. But honestly it’s a tube. A tube buried in the back end – of another tube! Honestly not much to see there!

Post15_zpsa0ddb9db.jpg

Next step was to add the MLG bay to the lower wing section. I painted the gear bays in Life Color Interior Green. Then the bays received a mash with MIG Dark Wash and then the details were painted up and the little bits added.

Post16_zpsd44ed239.jpg

Post17_zpse9e7f017.jpg

Post18_zps75ed75a4.jpg

After that, its all gone pretty quickly. The spine was assembled and installed, and then the lower wing half. The metallic parts at the engine exhaust were painted in Alclad Dark Aluminum and Steel and the various antennas were also painted in the radome green.

Post19_zpsa6c83b8c.jpg

Post110_zps10e020f6.jpg

Then the tops of the wings and the control surfaces as well as the horizontal tail pieces were added. I also added the HUD panel to the front of the cockpit.

Post111_zpsd0970520.jpg

I had a bit of a problem here. I didn’t have the instrument panel installed in the right angle when it was assembled, so the HUD panel and the IP did not meet like they were supposed to. I ended up breaking out the IP (not on purpose :bang head ) and re-installing it, which helped clean up the fit. In the future I will keep the IP out until I have the HUD panel in and then install the IP. There is plenty of room to do it that way. I also needed a little bit of putty at the top of the wing roots. I’m not sure if that’s normal for this kit or not, but there was a bit of a gap on mine. Otherwise the fit has been amazing.

As of right now, there is no aftermarket on this beast. I am planning to use a Quickboost seat and a Master Models pitot tube, but they are both out of stock at my normal source, so I may come to a grinding halt at that point. The seat isn’t that necessary, the kit one is very nice, I just hate working with the photo-etched seatbelts, but I think the pitot tube is a necessity considering how exposed it is and my track record with those things! And I still really haven’t decided on what paint scheme to go with.

Stay tuned – more to follow!
Mike

Post112_zps13ea9abd.jpg

So jealous that you have a MiG 21 on your bench, I really want one of them aswell - the recce version came out in November and I'm still deciding whether to get one of them or a Bis or the SMT like yours.

Which decal options come with this issue ?? - that may help me make a decision.

Ian

Hey Ian - the kit has 5 different options. 2 are in a "woodland" camo (browns and greens), 1 is a browns and tans color scheme and the final 2 are NMF. I'll be doing one of the camo birds.

James - the Akan paints are acrylic.

Mike

Thanks Mike - I can feel m'self weakening. Got a birthday at the end of this month.... :hmmm

Ian

Hey guys,

Ian - make the purchase - these Eduard MIGs are a dream to build!

Thanks Christian! I appreciate the encouragement!

Here is a small update on the MIG.

First off I installed the canopy. I needed to protect all the detail on the glare shield since I’d knocked the HUD off twice already. So I mixed up some of the cockpit color and brush painted the interior right at the front and then installed it. Mine did not fit exactly flush so I sanded the edges to blend it all together, and I’ll double check it all after I get some paint on it and can see the join a little better.

IMG_4262_zps024522f8.jpg

After that I finished adding all the details to the bottom of the aircraft…

IMG_4263_zps28860fc3.jpg

…and then the pitot tube.

IMG_4264_zpsbe580e67.jpg

And that’s it. This one is ready for paint. Well almost. I did have a bit of good luck and found a Master Models Pitot Tube so that has been ordered. I’ll wait to primer the aircraft until I get that installed. Landing gear and under wing stores will all get worked in the mean time, but I’ll probably slow this one down a bit. God knows the bench is getting crowded!

Thanks for looking and as always – comments are welcome!
Mike

That is looking sooooo schweet! I just got the Bunny club Mig 21 MF and i'm bursting to start it- aint no way it's going to be a Bunny Fighter though :stinker

The canopy fit issue, is that a problem with all the kits or just this one you're doing?

I'm not sure what the deal is with the canopy. I hadn't heard anything about there being a fit issue with the canopy, but I sure had to clean up the join. Maybe I did something that caused it? Wouldn't be the first time I screwed up a fantastic kit! :lol:

Just my distrust of Eduard, I have a nasty history with them....sure it's nothing you did, these things happen. Looks like you got it handled well.

Hey MP - I totally understand your feelings. I've tried to build three of their FW190D's and all three ended up in the trash. That kit just seems to have my number. It's unfortunate too - that's one of my favorite aircraft - and I have 8 of their 190s (As & Ds) in my stash! I'm thinking of trying an A first and see how that turns out.

Other than the fit problem on the cowling, which was easy to fix once I knew it was coming, the Eduard Hellcats are an excellent kit to build. And very detailed and accurate. I am dreading the me110 though - I've heard horror stories!

Oh well, I haven't found a perfect kit yet - but much to the wife's dismay - I'll keep looking! :cheer:

Ian - make the purchase - these Eduard MIGs are a dream to build!

Mike

Fully intend to, Mike, but later in the month - just had a lucky run on eBay, so need to 'keep it on the down-low' for the moment. Great progress, friend.
:good:

Ian

Hey MP - I totally understand your feelings. I've tried to build three of their FW190D's and all three ended up in the trash. That kit just seems to have my number. It's unfortunate too - that's one of my favorite aircraft - and I have 8 of their 190s (As & Ds) in my stash! I'm thinking of trying an A first and see how that turns out.

Other than the fit problem on the cowling, which was easy to fix once I knew it was coming, the Eduard Hellcats are an excellent kit to build. And very detailed and accurate. I am dreading the me110 though - I've heard horror stories!

Oh well, I haven't found a perfect kit yet - but much to the wife's dismay - I'll keep looking! :cheer:

Don't get me started on the Pips 190....Think it's the A8 model with all the stupid open panels that don't want to close up...and the P38 :bang head..

I did the Hellcat last year and got two more in the stash, even the landing gear go on straight! :pilot

Hey guys. I need a little bit of help. My plan is to arm up this Mig with either FAB-100s or FAB-250s. Problem is I'm not sure of the paint color. Does anyone have any idea what color Russian bombs are?

Thanks!
Mike

Usually a medium grey - US Neutral Grey or British Medium Sea Grey should work. Not certain about coloured bands - don't think that they follow the NATO style. HTH, Mike.

Ian

A light greay. At least thats what I remember seeing. Here are some links and pics I found.

http://www.mig-21.de/english/technicaldataarmament.htm

bomby1.jpg

found here http://www.gfmod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=302&sid=b19663ed237723f77a1e40df19a4696d&view=print

fab-250_121.jpg

found here http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/t/43022

Hope that helps.
James

Thanks for the help Ian and James! I found a picture that showed them as gray, similar to the one from you James, the instructions offered up a "light gray" or Kahaki. I was going to go with the gray, but there are like 100 different grays out there! since I have alot of US Neutral Gray I'll plan on using that.

Thanks again for the help!
Mike

Back