• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dutch skating soldier

Ted

In honour of Dutch Liberation Day, I started building a 54mm Dutch soldier. Skating season was over by the time the Netherlands was invaded so this represents a soldier in the few years before the war. The Lead Sled packaging has great information on the uniform, kinda like Historex packaging.

IMG_7596.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

jenny croft wrote:
I could never skate , I am way too Uncle :( :( :( .

Jenny

too Uncle, great experession. My friend Steve moved here from Melbourne because his hockey team couldn`t get ice time.

Here`s the (mostly) painted figure (Vallejo acrylics and oils on the face and leather parts). Next is an icy base, I`ll try an acrylic disk with some baking powder.

IMG_8212.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

What a fantastic little guy Ive never seen him before :)

Great painting Ted !!

Cant wait to see the groundwork :)

Finito! I used a piece of acrylic as ice, painted the bottom pale blue and glued baking powder to the top. I turned a piece of elm for the base.

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

Very nice figure and finish! Ironic you chose elm for the base, almost all the elm trees in my hometown were wiped out in the late 60's by Dutch Elm Disease. :(

Thanks slodder, Andy, Andre and Mike, much appreciated.

I thought about that irony too Mike, most of the native elm in Canada was decimated by that blight too, then it went from here to England and wiped out most British elms. Elm isn't a native species in Western Canada so any trees here were planted. Dutch elm disease hasn't made it over the rockies so the few elms here are safe for now. I managed to get some boards from a city tree that was cut down. I use it for chairmaking and turned the offcuts. It's really good for chair seats because it doesn't split and it has nice wavy grain.

Back