• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dragon StuG III Ausf F Update Trees 12/19/21

Iron Mike

Master At Arms And Resident Curmudgeon
Okay, I've been sandbagging this one. Work began last fall on this variant, it is the old Dragon Imperial Series kit and I've add some things along the way. Click on the image for a larger picture.

IMG_0988.JPG
A couple old washers glued inside the hull make a rock solid attachment for my AK Interactive Magnetic Handle.
IMG_0991.JPG
Moving forward, I added some dirt and mud to the lower hull.
IMG_0992 (2).JPGIMG_0993 (2).JPG
The kit tracks are supposed to be Ostketten, but they are the longer Winterketten. Since I did a vehicle with winterketten awhile back, I ordered a set of Friulmodel Ostketten.
While I was waiting for the tracks to arrive, the running gear got the treatment.
IMG_0997.JPG
Looking for something different, a layer of concrete armor was added with Aves Apoxie.
IMG_1012.JPGIMG_1013.JPGIMG_1014.JPG
I found an Armorscale barrel and mantlet in the stash, so that went on next.
IMG_1044.JPGIMG_1045.JPGIMG_1046.JPGIMG_1047.JPGIMG_1048.JPG
I made the spare road wheel racks from scrap PE frets and wheels from the spares bin.
The tracks were well detailed and went together easily, a bath in track burnisher had them ready to install.
IMG_1049.JPG
The road wheels, sprockets and return rollers went into place and the tracks installed.
IMG_1059.JPGIMG_1062.JPGIMG_1063.JPGIMG_1064.JPG
The upper hull is dry fitted to see if everything fits before paint.

As I said, I've been working on this for awhile without posting, so it looks like a lot of fast progress (but it wasn't). More to come, thanks for coming by!
:Drinks:

Last edited:
Was ist denn hier loss?! Der geheimniser StuG ist aus die Tache!? Unglaubbar! The only thing cooler that Ostketten sind Winterketten!! Nobody StuG's like you do. :salute::soldieron:Drinks:

Thanks guys! Here's a little more progress. The kit fenders call to be cut off and another section installed to replace it. The section doesn't break at the joint and I was scratching my head on how to make it look right. Then this truck showed up at our dock.
IMG_1124 (2).JPG
BING! The light bulb went off.
IMG_1074.JPGIMG_1076.JPGIMG_1077.JPGIMG_1078.JPG
I just added a weld from Evergreen half round, melted with liquid cement and textured with a blade.
Let's paint!
IMG_1167.JPGIMG_1168.JPGIMG_1171.JPGIMG_1172.JPGIMG_1354 (1).JPG
Where did those guys come from???
IMG_1285 (1).JPGIMG_1285 (3).JPGIMG_1358 (1).JPGIMG_1358 (3).JPG
More to come, thanks for stopping by! :Drinks:

See!? You never know where Model Mojo will shine on you! :ro::drunks: :drink
Paint and decals and Guys! Oh My!

Here's where we are this weekend, I wanted a late winter/early spring look.

IMG_1431 (1).JPGIMG_1432 (2).JPGIMG_1433 (2).JPG
The whitewash was applied to areas that would not have been worn away with traffic or weather. I used AMMO Oilbrushers and odorless paint thinner for the heavily worn look. Next up, I'll seal the oils and add dirt layers. Thanks for coming by! :Drinks:

Hi Mike!

You've been working I see! Looks great! You're using a different way of illustrating your builds I see. Very clever! I've always liked your stugs as you know!

Bob

Thanks Bob! The thumbnails load faster and I like the collage look in the thread, you can click the photo to see the full image too.
:Drinks:

"Odorless paint thinner"? MADNESS!! The snow effect is cool!
It isn't often I consider the lack of automatic temp control in a StuG. :ro:

Back