• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Down from the attic B-29

centaur567

20240416_142843.jpg
20240416_143031.jpg
20240416_143223.jpg
20240416_143208.jpg

Since I can't start the Twins campaign yet, I though I'd try to restore Monogram's 1/48th scale B-29. It's been up in our attic for the last 18 years or so. It was originally built sometime in the late 70's. I have decals for a USAF bird from my spares box. They will be fictitious/good enough. It needs a lot of work just to get it to the display mode. Gary S.

For some reason, I was under the illusion that I had all 4 props. I'm missing 3 props, 3 bomb bay doors, 2 gun turrets and a waist gunners bubble. I do not remember breaking off the landing gear or the props and closing the gear doors and one of those is missing too. Sucks getting old. I guess I'll just assemble what parts I have, give it rattle can paint job, basic decals and call it a day. At least it will be better than shoving it back to the attic.
This AM, I re-attached the wings (the left one was loose and the right one broke off while the left one was being worked on. :bash: The lower fuselage was reglued also. Oh well, it keeps me off the streets but not out of the loonie bin. Gary S.

I built one of these back in college when it first came out. I remember the canopy to fuselage did not fit for flip. The one I built was for a friend and I got a kit for myself by doing it. I had forgotten just how big the finished plane was.

20240418_064655.jpg

An idea that came to me in the middle of the night. Why not make silicon molds of a turret, waist bubble and prop hub. Then use epoxy to make what I need. I used it to make a spare tire and extra gas cans for the SAS jeep last month. It worth a try at least. Thanks for looking, Gary S.

20240422_091227.jpg
20240422_091305.jpg

The two missing gun turrets are made and the bomb bay is closed up with some ancient plastic I forgot I had. The fuselage seams are mostly sanded. This is going to be a "good enough" rebuild. Gary S.

Back