• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Down and dirty diorama

thumbs.jpg

As you 'forgot' the Sherman and the base, and grabbed the 'wrong' figure on Sunday... sorry, I still don't believe that these exist. Confess sinner! Who's based work photos have you stolen and claimed your own?!?

Hi there Brad.

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I can see already that some of these techniques will be ideal for my 1/35 scale 25-pounder gun/howitzer trilogy of dioramas. There will be one specific diorama and possibly two in that trilogy where your technique will be extremely useful.

Thanks again and cheers from Peter

I can't wait to get some of the putty and try to work with it (soon I hope.)

The water looks good, is the action going to go into or out of the water? Into and you're fine, out of and you could add some 'spashed' puddles farther up the tracks.

The grass to me is great, a bit of life and color - nice.

I have too say that the part I like best other than the water is the way that the ground work rises above the base ...... it gives real dimension to the scene

Hi Brad,

I have to admit when I saw your first application of the "mud", I was thinking, "Oh No"! Then you proceeded to pull off some minor miracles and it looks fantastic! Just a first class job! Beautiful!

Bob

That mud is sooo real. Fantastic result. As Ant said the water will bring it to life and it really has. I think the contrasting colors work well too.

Ian.

Ant, Rany, Borat, Glenn, Rudi, Peter, Scott, MG, Bob, Ian, Jenny, Andre, thankyou one and all for having a peep.
Scott, the tank is to be placed more or less centrally facing down the slope facing the right front of the base.
Andre, the grass in all from Heki, and is a variety of colours of static and another style (of which the name escapes me) which has a flock attached to a fine mesh for laying out as a ground cover.
I have since added a gloss to most all the churned areas, and even in its early stages it has improved the overall look of the components.
Photos will follow soon!
Brad :side:

Ok some pics

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

I think this one gives a good idea of the slope that may not seem so apparent in the other photos...

IMG_1096.jpg

Brad :side:

Way cool. I've walked through that stuff before. I even saw it from eye level and your base looks spot on, except when I fell in there were ripples in the water :laugh: . Very realistic.
James

The high point of the SBS is the fact that the mud looks so realistic. One of the shots had me thinking it could have been a reference pic taken for your diorama. The shift from matt dried patches of dirt to glossy wet mud and puddles is nice.
I am going to try the same type of wood filler you used instead of the P of P I have sitting in the cupboard.

Hi Bradley,

Back to your old mud making modus! Sorry that i missed the treat until now, but T&T is blocked in my office PC and my evening surfing is lately very limited .

You have done a wonderful job here, a very relistic, lifelike base. I think that's basically the best compliment a modeller can get!

Cheers
Claude

Back