• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dot-Filter technique Question

Leopard2

I am trying to do a dot-filter wash but I can't remember if the light colors go inside and darker outside or vice versa. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Joe

The stuff I've read has it going in random dots, ranging from light to dark, over all the panels. They are then blended (melted, erased, et al) into the surface, preferably glossy until just a shade remains. The AK Interactive videos show colors adding highlights and shadows around specific parts, but truly, almost anything goes.

Mike Renaldi's spin on the technique...

http://missing-lynx.com/articles/other/oilpaintrenderingmr_1.html

Tom

Fellas, dont forget you have someone closer to home to ask all sorts of weathering technique questions to including the one you have mentioned above

Ken Abrahams (y)

Ken Abrahams

That must be the Hebrew spelling of my name. :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh:

I'm not sure if I would call Mike Rinaldis' Oil Paint Rendering a spin on the 'Dot Filter' technique. His method is far more sophisticated than the other and the only thing I see in common is the use of oils. He actually places specific colors in a controlled manner, exactly where he wants them. He works in small sections and goes back and forth layering various colors over top of one another, versus sloshing them all together in one application. He was planning on registering here a while ago to share more on that technique (and would be able to explain it much better) but he's a fairly busy guy, so maybe in the future?

The oil dot method is pretty much like Iron Mike said, random dots of oil color all over the surface and blended in/off the surface all together at once.

Personally, I don't use the 'dot method'. IMO you might as well mix all the colors together to begin with. I can't begin to claim to paint as sophisticated as Mike Rinaldi but I try to apply my oils in more of a layered fashion, based on colors. I will also try to keep the lighter tones more towards areas where light would hit the surface and use darker tones for shadow ares.

Entering "oil dot method" into google turns up tons of results from various forums that might help to give many descriptions of different modelers takes on the technique.

:ro:

Yeah, I think you're right Ken, but it is fun to look at.

Would be nice to have Mike here, keep after him. :D

Tom

Tom, I could look at Mikes' work all day. I still go back through many old articles of his to re-read his methods, he is in my top five favorite... heck, top three favorite modelers.

I'm glad you linked to that article, it's a thesis for Pete's sake! I hope anyone who follows that link reads it through a few times.

I agree with KEN . Rinaldi's stuff ROX :erik ..... It would be cool if He could stop by here on a Regular basis !! He too is one of My Favorites & a Super Cool Dude to boot !!

(y)

I've used the dot filter on a 1/72 B-25. If you moosh the paint around carefully you do get a nice, modulated glaze of random colors that impart a sense of scale. It's all in the mooshing! I've used a gloss basecoat- I'm trying a matt or semi-matt next.

There seems not to be a consensus on matt vers gloss finish. Guess it boils down to what works for ya.

Mooshing...that ranks up there with Mashing. (y)

I used to apply oils to a gloss coat but now I use Vallejo Satin Varnish. It has more of a tooth to it while still being smooth enough to avoid heavy staining.

I can see how the gloss can be far more subtle, may try it on the wings of the Mustang. Not doing the High Shine stuff yet.

Thanks everyone. You have provided great info. And I am going and apply some of this info on a Tamiya Challenger 1 Tank I am currently messing around with.

Thanks again,

Joe

Here is my first attempt of a filter using Yellow Ocre oil paint.

Joe

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Back