• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dora 1/35

yes Ed its huge, so if your wife doesnt know about it, its going to be difficult to have it pass unnoted

:yipee

So here is a update on the Dora work, sorry it takes so long between updates but the amount of work is immense, lots of hours making parts and soldering brass. I started working on the trunnions, this are the parts that holds the gun to the main carriage. I already glued in place the catwalks and original handrails some time ago before I went for the brass handrails, so I removed it and started to construct and add more details to the trunnions.
Here the original handrails
pWlJ4rh.jpg

The upper and lower handrails come as a one part assembly
GwV8O8V.jpg

And the upper handrails
BGX2ljf.jpg

All removed and ready for the replacements
IdqbsTv.jpg

The upper handrail is made, please note the different pattern on the supporting rods, the original had a simplified pattern, after looking at the book photos and other builds I was able to figure the new pattern
Here the original rails are missing a couple of the support rods ends. Note the difference.
Jsb9JYE.jpg

The upper handrails are assembled and the pattern is also changed as per the original photos. The small squares at the bottom of the support rods are 2mm by 2mm styrene square rod. The top of the original anchoring piece was cut as it was exactly the same diameter as the brass rods 1.5mm, so in order for the brass to fit I had to use the 2mm squares, this where drilled to size before gluing in place
amslewg.jpg

Next using 1.5 styrene rod I constructed the lower catwalk supports, the lower catwalk hangs from the upper one by this tubes and also is attached to the side of the main carriage by steel beams. Again the pattern is different from the original.
TNSXzR7.jpg

The upper catwalk also received the supporting arms as seen on Herr Taube book, this where constructed with styrene T rod and squares of 2x4mm styrene
y933g5x.jpg

This area on the front of the trunnions is an access to the interior, it is a bolted hatch, after sanding smooth a .60 styrene disk is cut, I detailed it with Verlinden bolts and glued it in place.
t397RnI.jpg

oUfenxG.jpg

I5kwFEL.jpg

KWg0raw.jpg

The trunnions storage boxes are replaced also, this are too thick and also the wrong shape, again thanks to the book photos I made the new parts from styrene card.
The original box
CLO1Q4h.jpg

O5v3fEi.jpg

Replacement styrene parts ready to assemble
9gxEa7c.jpg

The new boxes
p2ZQ8me.jpg

Next I removed the reinforcement triangles from the original boxes and glued to the new ones
i3uWqqZ.jpg

Here the completed new boxes
Z0B3nxt.jpg

IwTQFk1.jpg

Now the trunnions look like this with all the changes
gWiooSC.jpg

8mgUtl3.jpg

RrhykmD.jpg

v45Qkqd.jpg

juoF5zl.jpg

JxtoQcx.jpg

That’s all the work for now on the trunnios, still some bolt details to add. I have started to work on the main body halves adding details and correcting some parts, so will post as soon as finished.
Thanks for watching
Abdin

Heavens Eagle thanks, I forgot to add the scale comparison, so here it is

the trumpeter 1/35 german body and a a little tank to compare
P1100499.JPG

P1100500.JPG

and yes it is huge :eek:hmy: :gogo :D

Last edited:
Luiz, Bob thanks guys

Dave yes it is that big just add betteries and go hahaha

Mike already have about a quart of modelmaster panzer grey ready, but not sure how much more I need, will see as the paint
Process begins to figure it out. ;)

Abdin

yes Ed its huge, so if your wife doesnt know about it, its going to be difficult to have it pass unnoted

:yipee

I aint got a wife so, that's not a problem (y) But, I am living in mama's house.... :frantic

Now that's quite an update!! Very nice update on this!! (y) (y) (y)

Thanks guys, Im working on the main structures now and have a lot of work here, more changes and scratch building to do but thats the fun part
Will keep you posted. :D

Abdin

Wow!

Abdin, you've came a long way since I last checked in! A beautiful job of construction. I intend to use this thread as an SBS if I ever get around to building mine. This makes me want to start it now, but I have to finish what I have going first!

Thanks for showing us all your time and effort.

Bob

Back