• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Distractions

Ted

Hey folks, I've been distracted lately by my other hobby, making furniture. Here's a coffee table made from our local arbutus (Pacific Madrone to the Americans) and a windsor chair with a Mahogany seat and arms.

IMG_8386.jpg

100_3273.jpg

BTW, in the first photo you can see my daughter's blue toenails and my little Yorkie Joshua.

You're looking at my other hobby right now.

no really, you are...

This website is my other hobby. doing IT stuff is like a hobby to me. I've been lucky in being able to put bread on the table with that hobby. Now if I can figure out how to do the same with modeling...

moon puppy wrote:
You're looking at my other hobby right now.

no really, you are...

This website is my other hobby. doing IT stuff is like a hobby to me. I've been lucky in being able to put bread on the table with that hobby. Now if I can figure out how to do the same with modeling...

Take up baking :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Supporting the stash will be hard enough ;)

Jenny :kiss:

The mighty Stoke City FC is my other hobby mind you the models never break my heart or ruin my Saturday nights so perhaps i will just stick to the plastic :huh:

Hiking and camping in my hammock...and playing drums...has helped me deal with stress for the last 22 years.

Mostly... life :laugh:

We've got a small bub which keeps me pretty busy - the missus looks after her all week, so I guess it's fair that I do my bit over weekends. Fair enough she's not awake all the time, but when she's asleep there's household stuff to be done.

Other than that, the main thing that keeps me from doing actual modelling, is internet modelling :unsure: Apart from surfing forums way too much, I also write product reviews and run a little figure site. In the case of reviews a single figure can take me about 24-48 hours of effort to write - that includes research (which I do fresh everytime), photography and editing, and of course writing the review. I know it seems excessive, but I like to produce a quality product and so far it seems to have worked - based on the feedback from readers and vendors alike.

The figure site in mention is of course the one in my footer/signature: FigureOneThreeFive. I'm not as on the ball as I was initially, but I still check in the region of 50 manufacturer sites every 24-48 hours for new products and probably about 15 community/review sites for new reviews over that same period.

In addition to this, I'm also a keen photographer and I also fence (epee) twice a week. In the case of the latter, when I get home after a good session the adrenaline is normally still pumping too hard for me to hold a hobby knife or brush :woohoo:

So yeah... there ya go... apparently I do have a life :blink :laugh:

My biggest distraction from building would have to be 3 modeling forums and television.

I have been power lifting in gyms since I was a teen, back in the fifties. That, like modeling, has been a lifetime obsession. I have always had that drive that would push me to finish those large dioramas and relentlessly keep pushing myself at the gym. In the seventies and eighties I got into power meets and competition. As part of that regimen, I also ran, (not jogged), daily, usually 2-5 miles. My wife Susan was always there with me, way back when women didn't do those things. She is a little woman, not that much taller than Jenny, but for years could squat 260 pounds at a body weight of 110. She never had the body type to become muscular, just looked very fit. To see her move that kind of weight was quite the sight to behold!

I believe that, as we are still going strong, (and I am going on seventy years old), I can still compete with, (And usually beat), any twenty to forty something in our gym. My all time highs, at a body weight of 185, was 378 bench, 655 squat and a 700 pound dead lift. Those were respectful numbers. I can't quite match those today, but I can still come fairly close. We both still enjoy it and work out regularly and religiously four days a week. We walk/run 7 days a week.

This picture was taken in 1991, I was about 50. Yes, I was wearing shorts! :D :D Susan calls this my Adam in Eden pic. She laughs every time she sees it!

Kewcopy.jpg

This was taken in 2008. I was 67, and Luca Marchetti of Pegaso Models had sent me a case of Chianti Classico. I sent this to him and said, "Look what drinking vino will do for you"!

Gymcopy.jpg

I would recommend this hobby to anyone as strongly as I would modeling.

Bob

bob letterman wrote:
I believe that, as we are still going strong, (and I am going on seventy years old), I can still compete with, (And usually beat), any twenty to forty something in our gym.
Bob

Oh yeah? I bet I can whoop ya at Duke Nuk'em!

hmm... maybe not, haven't played that in a while either. nevermind....(shuffles off to the corner trying to look over my belly to see if shoes are tied)

:mpup

Not really a distraction , ......... more like a religion , ..........

There's nothing like the crack of dawn and the Atlantic Ocean !!!

From Labor Day to Memorial Day the beaches belong to the locals , the tourists are gone and it's heaven !!!

Picture1458.jpg

Picture1113-1.jpg

Picture1008-1.jpg

Picture1117-1.jpg

Picture1119-1.jpg

Back