• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Destert Storm A-10

centaur567

This is Revell/Monogram's A-10 and was used in Desert Storm. Gary

he00f301.JPG

h8518532.JPG

h625a3b0_2016-04-13.jpg

926 TFG/706 TFS "Cajuns" tail code "NO" NAS New Orleans,LA - King Fahd Airport,SA
78-0582 "Alligator" Leased from 46th TFTS BD 18 tank kills, Barksdale AFB, tail code BD

Nice Gary, ok for our campaigns we have to have a start up photo of the unbuilt kit with some sort of time stamp in the image. A Newspaper header, computer screen with our official MA Campaign Time showing, anything that we can use to verify the start.

Second, when attaching images click the "insert" button next to the file name to embed the image on your post instead of just attaching them. That way the image appears in the post itself instead of as another link for us to click.

Now...are you going to a new A10 for us? It's rare we have WIP builds on campaign but we have been known to break the rules for new guys we like. :popcorn

So it looks like I strike out again. Don't want to break any rules. It's not that big of a deal. The Italeri kit is almost done. The Revell kit is not painted yet. Close to it though. Going to have to figure out the insert thing too. Thanks Gary

Don't worry Gary, we'll get you up to speed around here. Hell, they got me half trained. Though I still like to cause a bit of trouble now and again. :tomato

Just shoot a message to the GB host. Personally I'm fine with it...especially as you're doing a dual build.

Hell, about me causing trouble...I might just go harass the host for ya. :evil:

Heck I start on time, but build so slow and deliberately that it becomes quite hard to finish it on time.

We all still like to see your build steps and progress though.
(y)

I worked with a guy here at work who worked on A-10's during Desert Storm and he was there in the hangar the day Maj. Campbell (female pilot) came back in nursing a badly shot up A-10. He said it was ugly how much of the plane was damaged, but yet it still brought her home,
THAT is a testament to both her skills as a pilot and the ruggedness of the A/C!

Tim

Good to see you jumping in to this Campaign, Gary. Looking forward to seeing your Warthog progress.

:good:

Ian.

Thanks, They are in 1/48th scale. The one with the darker grey plastic is the Revell kit. I need to take more pics. It's superising how big the A-10 is. It's almost the size of a B-26 Maurader. I'll place the models side by side to compare and take a pic. Gary

Those used to fly over our house in VT all the time. My buddy & I used to go running out the front door and look up as soon as we heard the metallic whine of those turbofans. :frantic

I really need to get another one of those kits someday. At least assuming I can find a decal set for the unit we used to see...because that would only be fitting. Need to do research though, as I'm not sure if they were out of Massachusetts or Connecticut. I know the CT ANG kept a few of them at the end of Bradley Int'l (Hartford), but I believe those were grey. Because of that it leads me to believe they were likely Mass ANG or an AF Res unit out of Mass, as the ones that flew over were usually green/gray European camo.

I find it amusing how the AF doesn't want to acknowledge their existence (and repeatedly try to kill them off), but then as soon as there is trouble they are one of the first birds there because they don't have any aircraft that can perform the CAS role half as well as the Warthog. Thank god for the AF Reserve & ANG.

My favorite modern day bird! I'll never forget camping in the Adirondacks with friends...I was the first one up one morning and was reading on a rock next to the pond we were camping next to. Almost shot right into the water as a pair of these babies came roaring over the next mountain over doing nap of earth training...never heard them until they were on top of me...

Some more build pics.

hd682261.JPG

The enj. inlets took some cleaning up, but came out ok.

h611464c.JPG

h955cfc6.JPG

The Revell kit has better detail that the Italeri kit. Cheaper too.

h58bc053.JPG

h163ab29.JPG

Size comparison to the B-26.

really neat stuff! I had some training down next to Columbia SC airport back in the 80's, and even in heavy fog these things still took off and had a very unique sound, you always knew that engine when you heard it!

Lizard painted. Needs dry brushing and panel detailing. Gary

h96271c4.JPG

h8611819.JPG

Flying blind in the back yard or a new predator drone.

h19cfefa.JPG

h1ad024b.JPG

With my other A-10

Back