• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Darius Miniatures

KEN ,

This is Awesome Stuff Brotha' !!! I really Dig those Chippin' FX !! Great Tutorial !

Question - Have you thought about using the Wet Fx on this Wedgie ? As a lot of th Video & pix from th Bulge looks like it was a rainy time of th year ?? This Wedgie reminds Me of something I would see in th "Ambush at Poteau " Newsreels ....

Hey .... It looks like your Stash is gettin' kinda' low !! ?? ( top shelf) :woohoo:

Erik, how did you know this would be a bulge scene? Have you been using that crystal ball again? I may use some wet effects, I have a lot to do yet.

That aint my stash on the shelf brother, the stash is on the other side of the room. Those boxes you see there are (left side) kits being worked on (right side) completed kits ready for paint.

:ro:

Ken Great work and great bench too. One cuestion about your bench this time. The soptlight in the uper side how watts have.

Thanks and keep watching your job!

Thanks Ron,

the airbrush is a Badger SOTAR 20/20. It's one of their top airbrushes that I recently won in an online contest.

Thanks Tom,

well I would definitely recommend giving the AK chipping fluids a try, while it works very similar to hairspray there are a few differences. This stuff is just straight from the bottle, (no decanting hairspray into your airbrush) there is no smell (as opposed to the Tre-Semme I used to use) and my wife doesn't come searching my bench looking for her hairspray anymore. B)

As far as my bench being tidy... LOL, those photos were taken in my booth, the bench is usually a pigsty:

BENCH%7E0.jpg

Wait...that's not Ken Abrams bench..there's no halftrack in sight!

:pp

Just saw these at one of the figure dealers I go to on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/de-charles/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25
James

So I've been a bit distracted with a few things but work continues on this project. After some filters I began applying some Dark Earth pigments. I have applied these to the base, not only to represent the ground but I have also applied them in a thin wash like mixture to a few areas on the vehicle. This will help to tie the two together and set the scene. I assume this half track was pushed up and out of the way to clear a path for the passing armor. Considering this, I assume the dirt would have been thrown up onto the vehicle a bit.

DARIUS-15.jpg

In this next photo we can see the pigments on the fender and grill and along the lower section of the hood. Once the pigments were set, I used a little Engine Oil to further support the idea of a disabled and abandoned half track. Perhaps the oil pan was tore open as it got pushed up onto the bank. Once the first coat absorbed into the pigments I applied a second coat, closer to the center and then later a third, slowly building up the color of fresh oil and also allowing the impression of it soaking into the surrounding earth.

DARIUS-16.jpg

I mixed some Woodland Scenics snow with the Wet Effects and applied it in various areas, in an attempt to portray slushy piles of melting snow. I reapplied the Wet Effects in areas where the pigments absorbed it, dulling the gloss effect and will continue to do so as the product dries until I am happy with the outcome. Often times one application of something doesn't always produce the desired effects and depending on the surrounding elements, reapplications are needed.

DARIUS-17.jpg

Lastly for today even though not complete, a sneak peak at the figure just standing in his place. I just wanted to see where I was heading and show it here as well. I think in the end, the figure will help to tell the story and is a very important part of the setting. I am by no means a figure painter but I think at least one is needed on this small scene and I make do with what meager ability's I have.

DARIUS-18.jpg

Would be cool to see you doing this on You Tube just to see the technique Ken ;). Between your Sox and my Yanks, we aren't watching baseball...yet like you, I can barely find time to model unless I pull a late night!!

Nice slush...now that I live in the midwest, I know what it looks like.

Gotta ask, since MIG Pigments were made by Mig, and the AK pigments are designed by Mig...do you notice a difference?

Tom

Moonie, it really is that easy. I glued some pigments down, flowed in a couple applications of oil, mixed up some snow and wet effects and dabbed it on. All between my morning coffee and my late lunch yesterday. No secret handshake, no tricky technique, no smoke and mirrors, just pure unadulterated modeling fun. :ro:

Mike, my Sox are a train wreck right now aren't they? Typical New England team, rise to the top and self destruct. If this starts happening with the Bruins, I swear I'm gonna punch someone in the throat and start rooting for the Leafs.

Tom, slush sucks. I can't really plow and pile up slush effectively and end up spending way too much time trying to clean up that mess, give me straight up snow any day. lol B)

re: pigments, honestly? Aside from a bigger bottle at a similar price, (35ml versus 20ml) they seem to work pretty much the same.

Well then you're a prime candidate for the Fall Figure campaign Ken. Practice practice practice. :mpup

"Meagre ability" get out the figure looks fantastic and that oakleaf is very very nice the HT is absoluetly superb !

Thanks Andy, the Oakleaf was fun. :woohoo:

I'll try to get better views of the helmet cover in Lateral Variant Plane Tree (or my attempt of) at a later date.

KEN ,

LOOKIN HOT BOI !! I really Dig that Snow & The AK Wet FX looks Fantastic !! Also Great Eye for detail on the Leaking Oil !! Awesome touch !

I like th Figure too !! Rock-On Holmzz !!!

I'm lookin forward to th Finishing Touches !!

Cool stuff Camo , nice shizzle , ............. :laugh:

Love the white wash and the German dude is very well done !!!

The slush and Winter/Spring ground is very cool !!!

Well, I apologize for the long wait but I have been distracted with many other things outside modeling. Enough of the excuses though, lets get right to it.

Since my last update I finished to wooden box on the front bumper with some dark brown oil paint and attached the figure in place and applied some Wet Effects to his boot. I painted the two signs to represent some of the areas in the no famous 'Battle of the Bulge' and added a bit on snow on the sign tops and the half track itself.

I received some advanced releases from a new company offering diorama plants and accessories, at the time of this posting, their website is still under construction and I have no word as to any sort of time frame for it's opening. The various dried plants and ground cover items are sourced from nature and appear both in scale and quite realistic, especially in context of a fall/winter setting. These items are delicate and somewhat small but are easily assembled into clusters and applied with ordinary white PVA glue.

HAY.jpg

GRASS.jpg

All that was left now was to create a simple wooden base, paint it black and attach the finished vignette to it in order to complete the project. I can only try to express just how much I enjoyed working with this resin vignette from Darius Miniatures, not only does it simplify the whole process of creating a well balanced scene but it also keeps it contained to a small area on the shelf once completed. I can foresee many more of these in my future, as long as they continue to produce Allied topics that is.

*and preferably, some that aren't just knocked out vehicles.*

BASE-4.jpg

BASE-5.jpg

BASE-6.jpg

BASE-7.jpg

BASE-8.jpg

BASE-1.jpg

BASE-2.jpg

BASE-3.jpg

Back