• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

D-Day Hurricane.......yes really :-)

paddy

I Always fancied the idea of a Hurricane in D Day stripes but the poor old things were long retired from front line service by June 1944. But wait.....
The other day i was reading about a flight of Hurricanes, No.1697 flight used to carry mail and secret dispatches to the beach heads during June.
Mail and items were carried in a pair of drop tanks, modified with removable nose sections and in fact one of these modified Hurricanes was the first allied aircraft to land in France after June 6th and then return to the UK again.
So there we have it, as soon as i can find a IIc version in a Hase or Revell box on ebay i think i will join you in this build :)
I will do some more research and see if i can find some pictures :)

You could still do one in stripes, although was a gunnery trainer in 44.

hurricane-2.jpg

James

I Always fancied the idea of a Hurricane in D Day stripes but the poor old things were long retired from front line service by June 1944. But wait.....
The other day i was reading about a flight of Hurricanes, No.1697 flight used to carry mail and secret dispatches to the beach heads during June.
Mail and items were carried in a pair of drop tanks, modified with removable nose sections and in fact one of these modified Hurricanes was the first allied aircraft to land in France after June 6th and then return to the UK again.
So there we have it, as soon as i can find a IIc version in a Hase or Revell box on ebay i think i will join you in this build :)
I will do some more research and see if i can find some pictures :)

Hey , that would be different :popcorn

To play devils advocate, would it have invasion stripes? The order stated all Tactical aircraft be painted with invasion stripes. I think these would be more of a support role, don't know. Just throwing that out there.

here we go Bob, does this qualify me for a build :) You know me, i like to do something different :lol:

shows what you can find with a bit of research. Seems these were based about 20 miles up the road from me at RAF Northholt and used by the Air Dispatch Letter Service.

Yea...just gotta find a cannon armed Hurri now. Dam shame Hase don't seem to do theirs any more. Come on Ebay !!

Thanks Paul but a 1/48 will be fine :laugh: or a 1/32 would sit well next to my Tamiya 1/32 Spit.
Not even sure if anyone made a 1/32 hurri in a IIc ?

There's always the venerable 1/48 Monogram. It had all the options but it's not up to today's standards.

Cheers, Christian B)

Dear Paddy.

...hope to see a great job from yours...beatiful choice...a very interesting duty of this great plane...I am very impressed with stripes application...very rough ;)

:drinks

Luiz

My fiendish plan to get a Hurricane into this campaign by the back door is coming together. Last night i won a Hase 1/48 Hurricane IIc on Ebay for £11.00 :)
I have also found the right 44 Gal drop tanks in resin courtesy of Airwaves :)
Glad i have till next June to sort this out :)

Back