• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Czech Model 1/48 Yak-15

Old Dog

OK, I'm already 3 days behind and I haven't started yet ! :bang head

The kit and obligatory date stamp...
yak-15datestamp.jpg

yak-15datestamp2.jpg

The Yak-15 was a straight forward adaptation of the Yak-3 fighter with the engine removed and mated to a Soviet built copy of the Junkers 004B engine used to power the Me 262. Despite the dramatic change in engines, no real difficulties were encountered, and the loaded weight of the Yak-15 was actually found to be less than that of the Yak-3. To expedite development the all-metal rear fuselage, horizontal tail, and main undercarriage, as well as for most of the wing of the Yak-3 was used. The front of the welded-tube fuselage truss was considerably modified to carry the Jumo engine, which was hung underneath on rubber shock-absorbing mounts. The vertical tail was slightly enlarged and skinned in metal, as was the heavily modified nose cowling surrounding the engine, which retained a Riedel two-stroke piston engine starter in the nose 'bullet'. The wing spars were strengthened, and the front spar was curved in an arch over the engine. A third fuel tank was also installed above the engine. The rubber tail wheel was replaced by steel when the rubber one on the prototype melted from the engine exhaust heat. Early in testing the Yak-15 had been found to be an excellent design, and was ordered into production even before testing was completed in May 1947. The fighter was equipped with two NS-23 23mm cannon with 60 rounds per gun. The Yak-15 was the lightest operational jet fighter ever built. Along with the Swedish Saab 21, it was the only piston-powered production aircraft to be successfully converted into a jet. A Yak-15 was also the first Soviet jet aircraft to be successfully refueled in flight. 280 are believed to have been built before production terminated during 1947.

The Czech Model kit is a short run multimedia kit with 34 injected molded parts (3 not used), 17 resin parts and a vacuformed canopy. I wouldn't have paid the original asking price for this kit but when Squadron had it on sale for $2 I figured what the hey ! :lol:

Clean up will be the biggest time eater on this kit and the plastic parts are pretty flash laden and may take longer to clean up than the resin parts which look quite nice. I hope they fit as well as they look :unsure:

I'm going with the camo finish since the time frame is still close to the end of WWII and red is not one of my favorite colors to paint and the short time allotted will not allow much time for playing with NMF's so let the games begin....

What a cool plane!! Don't worry OD I have not started either

:popcorn

RED ! :vmad It's supposed to be a warbird, not a competitor in the Cleveland air races ! :gogo

At the end of the first work session the major injected pieces have been desprued and cleaned of flash and the the resin pieces freed from their pour stubs and cleaned up and ready for some paint. The rest of the plastic parts will remain sprue bound so they don't sprout legs.

yak15-b01.jpg

26 days to go !

Hey Gary just paint it what ever you want......Just as long as it is red...OK?

Gary sets comments concerning red paint to "ignore". :evil: Today's bench time consisted of some very minor assembly of pit components to facilitate painting and the interior parts were all given a base coat of primary colors. Once these dry down detail painting and assembly of interior parts will begin. Most laborious part will no doubt be the IP as I seem to be addicted to Airscale instrument decals :laugh: Yeah I know this post is worthless without photos but I also know that some folks don't like photos of paint drying. :D

25 days and counting !

Yeah I know this post is worthless without photos but I also know that some folks don't like photos of paint drying. :D

25 days and counting !

It really depends on whose paint it is. :D

Looking forward to seeing this IP Gary, you always do an outstanding job on them!

:popcorn

OK, the holiday presented little in the way of bench time but I have managed to get most of the innards done, everything is pretty much OOB except that I substituted a set of Eduard rudder pedals from a Yak-3 kit as they seemed to be a bit more in scale and the resin part needed a lot of clean up. I did add a couple PE levers from PE junk box.

yak15-b02.jpg

yak15-b03.jpg

Fuselage innards, not much to see, added a placard for some interest on one side.

yak15-b04.jpg

yak15-b05.jpg

Wings are assembled, trailing edges are a bit too thick but I'm not losing any sleep over it, still need some sanding and filler.

yak15-b06.jpg

And for those fond of red, I painted the engine nose cone that color :D

yak15-b07.jpg

The instrument panel is finished but I forgot to get a photo, will do tomorrow, out of time today !

19 days and counting !

Looking good OD!! Don't tell me how many days I have left. :pinch:

B)

OK, here's the IP I forgot to photograph yesterday, not one of my better efforts, with the exception of the primary flight instruments the dials were too small for any of the instrument decals I had. I did use a silver pencil in some of them to add some indication but the future I put in them later hid most of it. I added a placard on the panel warning the pilot that operating the engine at high power settings before retracting the gear would burn the rubber off the tail wheel :eek:hmy: I don't think the IP will be all that visible once installed so it will do for my purposes !

yak15-b08.jpg

18 days and...whoops, sorry Terry :D

Back